Royal Hospital "MAY WARD"

togger

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for information around the 'MAY WARD' at the Sheffield Royal Hospital. I am born & bred a sheffielder and have never come across this ward before. I have recently seen this image https://www.alamy.com/may-ward-royal-hospital-sheffield-image68571668.html and was intrigued. Does anyone know the history of why this ward was named 'MAY' and whom after please?

Thank you

Did this old topic from 2007-2013 not yield any clues or links to find the names of all the wards? Seems you were in that old thread?

No the old thread did not produce anything around my question concerning "MAY" although you are correct I was in it? The question I asked was around a specific ward that I am researching as you will have read in my original question? Ta for the link

• Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 19:45, togger said:

No the old thread did not produce anything around my question concerning "MAY" although you are correct I was in it? The question I asked was around a specific ward that I am researching as you will have read in my original question? Ta for the link

Daily Telegraph & Courier (London) 09 July 1896

Looking at this news article about The Richmond Royal Hospital, There is every chance that May Ward is an abbreviation of Princess May Ward due to the full name already taken. ??

Lady May Helen Emma Abel Smith (formerly Lady May Cambridge, née Princess May of Teck; 23 January 1906 – 29 May 1994) was a relative of the British royal family. She was a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria and a niece of Queen Mary. She led a private life in England.

Sheffield 8A.jpg

Sheffield 1.JPG

Sheffield 2.JPG

Sheffield 3.JPG

Sheffield 4.JPG

Sheffield 5.JPG

• Like 1