King Edward V11 Grammar. The Clapton Era

paulhib48

Surprised to see no thread on my old school.

I was in the intake of 1959 and left the year Sharrock took over in preparation for the change to Comprehensive.

Anyone else still alive and just about kicking out there ?

I was there the year after you. Some good memories of the place but couldn't stand Wednesday afternoon games in the winter. Only last week I rediscovered my copy of the book published by KES in 1995 to commemorate the first 90 years ("Tha'll never gerr in theer...").

I have the fond memories that come with hindsight and nostalgia.

I don’t think I was ever really happy there but I appreciate all the things it taught me that have stayed with me throughout my life 

They taught you respect and discipline and other old fashioned values that are often frowned on these days 

I did languages and English at A Level and those subjects along with the snippets of Latin I picked up have been of great use to me.

I was a council house kid who lived in a prefab who was lucky enough to pass the 11 plus and was given an opportunity that once would never have been offered me.

I always regret not taking it fully and going to University at a time when I’d never met a single person who had.

How times change ?

I wonder if that book is still available as I’m sure I’d find it really interesting 

Some where in this forum is mention of the 'Flour Bomb' incident. I didn't go to KES but I worked there from 2004 to 2011. It was a wonderful place to work and I have many happy memories. My old pal - Alan Powell often talked about the flour bomb incident. I also remember the School Council asking Nick Clegg (then MP) to talk to the students and they made him look a complete fool!

Wazzie Worrall

12 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Some where in this forum is mention of the 'Flour Bomb' incident. I didn't go to KES but I worked there from 2004 to 2011. It was a wonderful place to work and I have many happy memories. My old pal - Alan Powell often talked about the flour bomb incident. I also remember the School Council asking Nick Clegg (then MP) to talk to the students and they made him look a complete fool!

Wazzie Worrall

I think the ‘flour bomb incident’ is covered in Sheffield Forum, Wazzie.

It happened sometime in the 70s I believe.

The school went Comprehensive in 69 and I guess was a far different place to the one I remember