Pub name in years gone!

Mary Wood

can anyone tell me any previous names of the pub now called The Doctors Orders - on the way to the Hallamshire Hospital from town it is on the right hand side on a corner? Thank you  

7 hours ago, Mary Wood said:

can anyone tell me any previous names of the pub now called The Doctors Orders - on the way to the Hallamshire Hospital from town it is on the right hand side on a corner? Thank you  

It was the West End Hotel , the picture shows the pub before the extension that was added.

165FC257-B60D-4ADE-A392-627B77875F7D.jpeg

Thanks Steve. I arrived  here to live in 1973. Did it change name again after being West End Hotel do you know? That doesn’t ring any bells. Thanks. Mary. 

Guest leksand
12 hours ago, Mary Wood said:

Thanks Steve. I arrived  here to live in 1973. Did it change name again after being West End Hotel do you know? That doesn’t ring any bells. Thanks. Mary. 

If it had any names besides West End & Doctor's Orders then they can not have lasted for long. Licensing records do not note any change of name from the West End up to 2001 (and this is the name it had used since 1850 at the latest). It was on my running routes through most of the first 2 decades of this century and I can't think I saw it under any other name (though admittedly may not have been paying the greatest attention).

Back in the depths of history there was another West End in Broomhall and there still is one in Killamarsh and, I think, until relatively recently another around Eckington. There have been no other "Doctor's Orders" that I'm aware of. It may also have been noted as the Little Critters Tap whilst named the Doctor's Orders for the (very recent) period that that brewery ran it.

On 22/11/2021 at 06:49, tozzin said:

It was the West End Hotel , the picture shows the pub before the extension that was added.

165FC257-B60D-4ADE-A392-627B77875F7D.jpeg

Nice photo, but the accuracy of construction, aligning the brick lines of the front & back sections is a little misleading. The main extension to the pub was forward toward Clarkson St and is shown above.

2 hours ago, leksand said:

If it had any names besides West End & Doctor's Orders then they can not have lasted for long. Licensing records do not note any change of name from the West End up to 2001 (and this is the name it had used since 1850 at the latest). It was on my running routes through most of the first 2 decades of this century and I can't think I saw it under any other name (though admittedly may not have been paying the greatest attention).

Back in the depths of history there was another West End in Broomhall and there still is one in Killamarsh and, I think, until relatively recently another around Eckington. There have been no other "Doctor's Orders" that I'm aware of. It may also have been noted as the Little Critters Tap whilst named the Doctor's Orders for the (very recent) period that that brewery ran it.

Nice photo, but the accuracy of construction, aligning the brick lines of the front & back sections is a little misleading. The main extension to the pub was forward toward Clarkson St and is shown above.

The extension is the roof at the rear of the pub that’s why the rake doesn’t match.

Guest leksand
On 29/11/2021 at 14:48, tozzin said:

The extension is the roof at the rear of the pub that’s why the rake doesn’t match.

Sorry, I should have specified that the construction mentioned was a reference to the construction of the photo and not the physical construction of the building pictured.

The roof at the rear of the pub is, to the best of my knowledge, mounted upon remnants of the original structure. As stated above, the pub was extended forward toward Clarkson Street. Prior to extension it was a bay fronted property. The frontage in your photo and the google map view are the same. If I remember correctly some of the earlier internal structure lasted well into the last century but was lost as the pub interior was opened out, though the back tier is raised because the original site is/was higher than the extended section.