Vine Tavern Hodgson Street

southside

The Vine Tavern on Hodgson Street became the regular meeting place for me and my mates on our way to the Esquire Club on Leadmill Road back in 1963.

It was a back street pub far enough away from the Esquire to be left off the Police under age drinking radar. The first night we ventured in we got a few strange looks from the locals. Over the following weeks we became more and more accepted.

There was an old Bush TV high up on a shelf, strict orders from the locals, no fooling about during the Morecambe and Wise Show!!  remember being asked to climb on a stool and adjust the horizontal hold, there was also an old piano in the room, our street cred went up a notch when when one of my mate`s managed to get a tune out of it. (he`d had piano lessons as a youngster).

By Christmas of that year we had all turned Eighteen. The Rodley Inn on Leadmill Road and the Truro Tavern on the corner of St Marys Road became regular weekend haunts.

We came across quite a few famous pop acts of the time in the Rodley, including a very young Rod Stewart playing the pinball machine. You would often find Joe Cocker and his girlfriend Eileen sat in a quiet corner of the pub when he was appearing at the Esquire.

Its hard to place the modern day location of the Vine Tavern with all the construction that's gone on in that part of Town

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07011&pos=1&action=zoom&id=10243

Vine Tavern 2.png

3 hours ago, southside said:

The Vine Tavern on Hodgson Street became the regular meeting place for me and my mates on our way to the Esquire Club on Leadmill Road back in 1963.

It was a back street pub far enough away from the Esquire to be left off the Police under age drinking radar. The first night we ventured in we got a few strange looks from the locals. Over the following weeks we became more and more accepted.

There was an old Bush TV high up on a shelf, strict orders from the locals, no fooling about during the Morecambe and Wise Show!!  remember being asked to climb on a stool and adjust the horizontal hold, there was also an old piano in the room, our street cred went up a notch when when one of my mate`s managed to get a tune out of it. (he`d had piano lessons as a youngster).

By Christmas of that year we had all turned Eighteen. The Rodley Inn on Leadmill Road and the Truro Tavern on the corner of St Marys Road became regular weekend haunts.

We came across quite a few famous pop acts of the time in the Rodley, including a very young Rod Stewart playing the pinball machine. You would often find Joe Cocker and his girlfriend Eileen sat in a quiet corner of the pub when he was appearing at the Esquire.

Its hard to place the modern day location of the Vine Tavern with all the construction that's gone on in that part of Town

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07011&pos=1&action=zoom&id=10243

Vine Tavern 2.png

I used to work just round the corner from the Vine on Headford Street, I think I only ventured through the doors a couple of times, one thing I do remember about the brown and cream ( tenants colours ) painted pub was they had duck boards behind the bar.