Silverstones old shop on Campo Lane

I can remember a few years ago now the D.I.Y. shop on Campo Lane, it was called Silverstones, it was a very popular shop for home improvement enthusiast but probably because of big stores opening up it took its toll on Silverstones and the shop closed, it stood empty and boarded up for a while - but - a film crew arrived and Silverstones  was chosen to be dressed for scenes in the film and here’s my problem, I can’t for the life of me remember what the film was called or who starred in it, can anybody enlighten me?

• Like 1

Are you sure about this as, I don’t think the tram or it’s tracks were known at the time I’m talking about, it must have been in the 70s.

I remember the Silverstones DIY store there. Used it quite a few times. I don't think it was not just the large DIY stores that hit their trade, but the regulations on health and safety. Lots of these stores offered things like wood cutting and timber and other objects all over the place, which the public could sort through. But I think the health and safety inspectors saw this as a possible source for accidents and so the stores had to remove much of the personal element of service, due to this. That combined with the large stores and everything in it's place and wrapped in plastic packing (one splinter and we get sued) ended customer service. I remember going to a similar DIY store at Gleadless Townend around 2006 (since closed) to order some board which he would cut for me. And I went into the part where they cut, but the guy wasn't pleased and said customers were not allowed in this part and was in a panic about health and safety regulations!

Try and get something cut to size these days in one of the big stores and apart from the funny looks - are you mad! - they make every excuse not to offer the service.