Verdon Parramore Spring Knife Cutler

hilldweller

Many years ago we lived next door to an old lady who was the widow of a chap called Verdon Parramore. He died well before the war leaving a son who moved to Rugby. When he died his

widow kept the firm going for a while using old blanks I think.

When Mrs. Parramore died the son cleared the house and found a cardboard box full of identical pocket knives. He gave me one as a keepsake. It's a fine knife with very sharp steel blades, brass &  I think bone scales.

Looking through an old Kelly's director his works were described as "Progress Works,"  Sudbury Street which disappeared under the Kelvin Flats Development. The workmanship puts some other articles produced in sheffield to shame.

hilldwellerIMG_20211119_0001.thumb.jpg.51647455b9ae354e1a4947f585ee873c.jpg

• Like 1

Guest leksand

19 hours ago, hilldweller said:

Many years ago we lived next door to an old lady who was the widow of a chap called Verdon Parramore. He died well before the war leaving a son who moved to Rugby. When he died his

widow kept the firm going for a while using old blanks I think.

When Mrs. Parramore died the son cleared the house and found a cardboard box full of identical pocket knives. He gave me one as a keepsake. It's a fine knife with very sharp steel blades, brass &  I think bone scales.

Looking through an old Kelly's director his works were described as "Progress Works,"  Sudbury Street which disappeared under the Kelvin Flats Development. The workmanship puts some other articles produced in sheffield to shame.

hilldweller

Sudbury Street (formerly Suffolk) is in Portmahon and so lies a little to the south-east of Kelvin. It's still there in some form, just about. I was a little suprised to stumble across it last time I was in town. The recent photo below is on the opposite side to where the Progress Works would have been [original note revised], at the Malinda Street intersection. If you can beleive it, student residences now occupy their former site.

sudburyst.jpg.43a33b9a1198e032ac28fbe7ea0d0fea.jpg

My grandfather and his two brothers were partners in a file manufacturer, James Leigh and Sons Ltd, who were based at Progress Works, Sudbury Street. The firm was established in 1870 and was taken over by John Bedford and Sons in 1925. I presume Parramore took over the works after they ceased trading.