Rover Car Dealerships and Garages

MotownJunk

As someone who owns a fleet of Rovers all of which i have rescued and restored over the years i am curious to know more about any former Rover dealership and garages that existed in Sheffield. Can anyone share any memories or pictures i remember Eric Stead at Ecclesfield but dont recall or know of any others.

Just two examples from my fleet

My Rover SD1 Vanden Plas and my 827 Fastback

I’m sure the garage on Beighton High Street used to be an Austin Rover dealership?

it was until recently a petrol station and used car lot, but now just a ‘hand car wash’, like so many others have become.

This photo from 1984 has a transporter on the road outside, making a delivery and looks like an Austin Metro on top, plus the sign on the extreme left may say ‘Austin Rover’?

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s43659&prevUrl=

btw, nice cars @MotownJunkthey look like.a labour of love? 😁👍

574571DD-A9D4-4E39-963E-AA2785A0FB2F.jpeg

23 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

Weren’t Crabtree and Nicol the main Rover dealership in the area?

My old man ran the Crabtree & Nicol branch in Doncaster (Racecourse Garage), they were Rover dealers and I remember coming through to the main dealership in Sheffield several times....Pinstone Street if I remember rightly.

• Thanks 1

Hi Motown Junk,

Weir Head Garage were Rover Dealers on Penistone Road,also Sandygate motor Services at the side of the Plough pub on Sandygate Road.A little known/remembered Rover dealer was Hoffmans of Sheffield Ltd 43-67 Ecclesall Road 

.I myself have a 1962 Rover P4110,which is currently for sale.I ran several Rovers including a V8 P5B,SD1 V8,Turbo Tomcat,Rover 75 Conosseuir.

Im sure you would agree that they were well built bomb proof cars that were underated.The P4 would look good in your fleet if you would be interested.

Kind Regards Bri

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brian Hardy said:

Hi Motown Junk,

Weir Head Garage were Rover Dealers on Penistone Road,also Sandygate motor Services at the side of the Plough pub on Sandygate Road.A little known/remembered Rover dealer was Hoffmans of Sheffield Ltd 43-67 Ecclesall Road 

.I myself have a 1962 Rover P4110,which is currently for sale.I ran several Rovers including a V8 P5B,SD1 V8,Turbo Tomcat,Rover 75 Conosseuir.

Im sure you would agree that they were well built bomb proof cars that were underated.The P4 would look good in your fleet if you would be interested.

Kind Regards Bri

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Ah i see your a man of good taste. This P4 wouldnt happen to be green would it?

I may be interested if you would like to inbox me. All the best

On 14/11/2021 at 08:23, RLongden said:

I’m sure the garage on Beighton High Street used to be an Austin Rover dealership?

it was until recently a petrol station and used car lot, but now just a ‘hand car wash’, like so many others have become.

This photo from 1984 has a transporter on the road outside, making a delivery and looks like an Austin Metro on top, plus the sign on the extreme left may say ‘Austin Rover’?

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s43659&prevUrl=

btw, nice cars @MotownJunkthey look like.a labour of love? 😁👍

574571DD-A9D4-4E39-963E-AA2785A0FB2F.jpeg

Thank you, Much appreciated! 

8 hours ago, MotownJunk said:

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Ah i see your a man of good taste. This P4 wouldnt happen to be green would it?

I may be interested if you would like to inbox me. All the best

We cant inbox you as we have not yet met the required amount of posts but maybe you can inbox us for now.The car is steel blue red leather interior and a good reg plate