Sheffield Nightclubs - List Of Names

Sheffield History

What about Penthouse on Dixon Lane and Heartbeat on Queens Road? I remember on a Good Friday we used to have to come out of there at 11.30pm as they were not allowed to go to 2am for some reason. But we would come out and then go in again at midnight as this was classed as another day, and they made us pay again!!!!!!!!!!

Guest jd.finlay

Used to go to Pennys in the early 80s, remember Martin Fry, Phil Oakey , Suzanne, Joanne and Cabaret Voltaire being they, they were great nights

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2007 at 18:07, Sheffield History said:

Can you help ?

Below is a list of nightclubs and previous names for nightclubs..

Can you help us fill in the blanks of missing clubs and their names ?

Fannies - Owler Bar (now Moorlands pub restaurant)

Tiffanys - London Road

Locarno - London Road

Palais - London Road

Music Factory - London Road

Bed - London Road

Turn Ups - Nether Edge (opposite Byron pub, closed and demolished, now flats)

Hoffenbru

Top Rank

Roxy's

Josephines - Barkers Pool

Baileys - Bank Street

Romeo and Juliets - Bank Street

Cairo Jax - Bank Street

Corpoation - Bank Street

Fiesta

Limit - West Street

Kikis

Rhythm Room

Pennys

Isabellas

Rebels

Charlie Parkers

Limit

Faces on Charles Street

Which nightclubs of Sheffield's past have we missed ?

Shades

On 16/02/2007 at 18:07, Sheffield History said:

Can you help ?

Tiffanys - London Road

Locarno - London Road

Palais - London Road

Bed - London Road

Hoffenbru

Top Rank

Roxy's

Baileys - Bank Street

Cairo Jax - Bank Street

Corpoation - Bank Street

Fiesta

Limit - West Street

Kikis

Rhythm Room

Pennys

Isabellas

Rebels

Charlie Parkers

Limit

Faces on Charles Street

Fannies  used to be Fiveways 

Can you help ?

Tiffanys - London Road

Locarno - London Road

Palais - London Road

Bed - London Road

Hoffenbru

Top Rank

Roxy's

Baileys - Bank Street

Cairo Jax - Bank Street

Corpoation - Bank Street

Fiesta

Limit - West Street

Kikis

Rhythm Room

Pennys

Isabellas

Rebels

Charlie Parkers

Limit

Faces on Charles Street

Esquire Jazz Club,I was a member from 1963 when the Thorntons ran it,saw a lot of early Sheffield acts there,Vance Arnold(Joe Cocker)he took leave of absence from his apprenticeship with the gas board,he never went back to finish it.Dave Berry,Frankenstein & The Monsters(Ray Stuart).Also acts from all over the place,Merseybeats,the Rattles(Germany's Beatles),Screaming Lord Such too many to remember,they only had a coffee bar,so during the breaks we would head to the "Truro Tavern"for a pint or two,it later became the "Leadmill"and as they say the rest is history,happy days,also used to go to "Club60"which was on Shalesmoor,think it was below a bathroom shop," Blue Moon"off Nursery Street and a few more but have forgotten through the mists of time??

Does the "Saints Club" on Bellhouse Road count? It was in the Church Hall at the side of St. Christopher's Church. I recall the Kalin Twins ( at the time up there in the charts) appearing.

On 11/09/2008 at 00:29, Guest SapperTaylor said:

One Saturday Night I was part of a guard of honour at an event at the Cutlers Hall. Me and a mate managed to get away for a bit and went for a wander round town, we finished up in the Wap dressed in our Royal Engineer number 2 dress suits. I know we must have looked prime targets for a bit of local fun!! but I don't remember any adverse reaction. We left after having a drink and returned to the Cutlers in time to salute the suits as they left the function.

Re: earlier post about doormen at Josies. One of the guys was a deaf mute amateur wrestler, somebody Kelvin I think?

Cheers all

Chris

As often happens, regrettably, a much- belated response to this post...but in the hope that Sapper Taylor ( or other ex-RE(V)s)  still around and reminiscing on ‘apre’ -drill nights at Gell St....or in this case, periodic  detached duties for the Cutlers Company   (which incidentally I myself participated in.....but I’d guess quite a few years after this occasion and with another unit....though ‘Sapper Taylor’ doesn’t put a date to his experience.....don’t know how he did on that night but you could fare very well with the booze there if you were friendly with the catering staff! )
But back to nights out in Town ..... usually Tuesdays as they were the appointed training nights ...for Sheffield’s own Royal Engineer unit (106 WR Field Squadron).

As they  had for centuries, soldiers, Regular or Volunteer were still allowed out in public, in uniform in late 60s/70s though with the growing problems of home terrorism it was to be prohibited within a decade or so. Turnout  (and behaviour) were expected to be good though, as you were officially travelling too and from duties. In the main, in my experience, both were generally, adhered to ( The Army was very different then and FAR less tolerant of breaches of discipline....severe,  summary punishment, still commonplace!) We regularly visited local pubs and bars on the way home and in spite if the uniforms ....were generally accepted by civilian fellow customers. That said, I well recall one incident ....when, having left the iconic ‘Buccaneer Bar’ under the Grand Hotel three of us headed for Pond Street and ‘Last buses’....or cabs home. Walking between the few remaining buses ( Atlanteans.....their names on the engine cowlings two of us very saw closely!) having been attacked by unseen assailants .... caps flying in the air and bare heads banged on those engine covers! Retaliation wasn’t easy as it was winter and we wore heavy Army greatcoats which initially ‘cramped our style’. As anyone who’s been in that situation, well knows, things happen very quickly but we gradually started to assess the situation and we tried regaining control but they were strong attackers and frankly, we losing the battle! Fortunately, as all good army formations should, we had ‘a reserve’ ....our mate had walked away to his own transport, just before the scrap but heard the commotion and backtracked (so NOT exactly in the plan ..to be strictly true to military doctrine!) Mel, normally a quiet, reliable and lovely mate.. also had reputation as a fearful fighter ....so we couldn’t have had better ‘back up’...he waded in with us without even speaking and we righted the situation before the ‘enemy’ legged it!  (Mel, mate, I really hope you’re still out there and with us.....apart from that episode don’t think we even thanked you.. many, great times, lad.. UBIQUE)

In conclusion though ...’provocatively’ dressed or not.....such incidents weren't common and apart from frequent, often repeated, questions to us about our rigs and function we enjoyed many congenial, uninterrupted drinks but general, good craic in such as The Bucc, The Wap, The Beehive and many others now gone from my recall.

Great ( if often hard), times and great pals .......sadly many now passed on and well missed. I wouldn’t have traded any of it for a kings ransom. Also recall ‘letting hair down’ ( such as we had on in those days) Squadron /Troop parties at such as the long -gone Cavendish, later Baileys nightclub on Bank Street and the fantastic experience ( recalled and commented on, elsewhere by ex members)  of marching, everyone fully ‘bulled up’, in column with drums beating the time from Somme Barracks to Barkers Pool Cenotaph every Remembrance Sunday - an awesome, poignant, experience...great and unforgettable  to be part of.

This is nostalgic, i had forgotten many of the venues.

I started my years as a glass collector at the Bucaneer, collecting hundreds of plastic "skiffs" to be washed and re-used. I progressed to be a bouncer there, hmmm funny as i was only 17, but being 6'3" my age was never checked. 

Also a bouncer at the Penthouse and earned extra money by doing the beer lift, there was no elevator at the Penthouse and had to hump 9 gallon kegs up many flights of stairs to the bar at the top. 

Bounced for many years at the Wapemtake and was there from when Bucaneer closed until end of 1977, when i moved to Australia.

Typical Saturday in Sheffield when not working : Saturday lunch at Craisy Daisy, the when that closed, downstairs in side walk cafe for a cappuccino and MASSIVE scone. Then off to Penthouse for afternoon beer lift. Home, quick change, back into tow n start off at Stone House, then the Yorkshire man, then Lord Nelson, then the Wap for a few and some heavy music, quick trip to the Zing Vaa chinese then off to Joesphines for some soul.

Then at some ungodly hour on Sunday morning getting the 73 circular bus to somewhere near home,

• Like 1

Can you help ?

Tiffanys - London Road

Locarno - London Road

Palais - London Road

Bed - London Road

Hoffenbru

Top Rank

Roxy's

Baileys - Bank Street

Cairo Jax - Bank Street

Corpoation - Bank Street

Fiesta

Limit - West Street

Kikis

Rhythm Room

Pennys

Isabellas

Rebels

Charlie Parkers

Limit

Faces on Charles Street

Club 60 was in a cellar on shalesmoor I believe? Great atmosphere . Long time ago Had to tell porkies to mum and sneak out with what I wanted to wear, she would have kept me in for a year if she’d found out .lol

• Like 1

On 04/05/2007 at 16:12, Guest Ted said:

The Club 60 was run by Tony and Marie (I Think) and we had Joe Cocker there a lot and Dave Berry used to pop in.

sneaked in underage , remember early Joe cocker and Dave Berry .