Woodseats Palace Cinema, Chesterfield Road, Woodseats

Guest tsavo

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 09.40.24.jpg

The Woodseats Palace Cinema
Chesterfield Road, Woodseats, Sheffield

Anyone have any memories of the Palace? I only visited it once and can't remember much about it.

Guest tsavo

Woodseats Palace, Chesterfield Rd. 

The Palace opened in September of 1911 with a seating capacity of 550. The pit seating was of tip up benches and the pit entrance was from a side passage. Two small shops were incorporated into the front of the building which was finished in green and white terracotta. Inside the auditorium there was a small stage with three dressing room's and a screen which could be flown above the stage for the occasional variety performances. There were no screen curtains.

Films were projected from a single Kinetoprojector with access to the projection room being via a vertical ladder from the managers office. Improvements were made in 1920 when a balcony was added increasing the seating to around 800. The projection room was also re-sited at this time and placed in the stalls area.

In 1955 the cinema was taken over by Star Associated Holdings and after closing for two weeks, reopened with the capability to screen CinemaScope presentations. For the first time, the Palace opened for Sunday performances and Children's matinees were reintroduced.

The Palace closed in September of 1961.

Info: Sheffield Cinemas.

Guest rcolley

Woodseats Palace, Chesterfield Rd. -

After it closed it became a Fine Fare supermarket. One of the first in Sheffield.

It is now a Weatherspoons pub called the Woodseats palace.

Guest skeets
On 25/04/2009 at 21:42, tsavo said:

Woodseats Palace, Chesterfield Rd. 

The Palace opened in September of 1911 with a seating capacity of 550. The pit seating was of tip up benches and the pit entrance was from a side passage. Two small shops were incorporated into the front of the building which was finished in green and white terracotta. Inside the auditorium there was a small stage with three dressing room's and a screen which could be flown above the stage for the occasional variety performances. There were no screen curtains.

Films were projected from a single Kinetoprojector with access to the projection room being via a vertical ladder from the managers office. Improvements were made in 1920 when a balcony was added increasing the seating to around 800. The projection room was also re-sited at this time and placed in the stalls area.

In 1955 the cinema was taken over by Star Associated Holdings and after closing for two weeks, reopened with the capability to screen CinemaScope presentations. For the first time, the Palace opened for Sunday performances and Children's matinees were reintroduced.

The Palace closed in September of 1961.

Info: Sheffield Cinemas.

the Woodseats Palace is now a Wetherspoons pub after extensive alterations , Skeets.

The site of Woodseats Palace is seen in this walk down Chesterfield Road in Woodseats

Wasn’t the Woodseats Palace in the spot that you think used to be a Tesco. The site that was Witherspoons....wasn’t that the Chantry Cinema???

17 hours ago, S24 said:

Wasn’t the Woodseats Palace in the spot that you think used to be a Tesco. The site that was Witherspoons....wasn’t that the Chantry Cinema???

Oh no...  Now you've got me doubting everything I ever knew about this place!

Does anyone know?

Hang on...it’s me. Ok.... the Woodseats Palace WAS where Wetherspoons is.....opposite the Police Station. The Chantrey was on the same side as the Big Tree, a little way above it. Possibly, where the Voice Centre is now?  Anyone???

s02423.jpg.a4308d29b5a18a3043d1bf773bc67d48.jpg

s21388.jpg.44100103385e4f25b18973db726d4d67.jpg

Bit late in the day but it was the Woodseat's Palace, that was knocked down for Fine Fare, which then became Shopper's Paradise. Finally it became Wetherspoons. My Gran worked in Fine Fare :)

There was a Lipton's where Farm Foods is - just by my school.

I have no idea why I'm an encyclopedia of Woodseat's supermarkets of yore...

3 hours ago, black75 said:

Was there ever a Woolworths in Woodseats?

A Woolworths Store, in Woodseats, Sheffield?

I would say no, there was not.