1921 UK census out on 6th Jan 2022....but

Sadbrewer

It sounds like Findmypast have got an exclusive deal for this:

How much will the census cost?

£2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image.

This will cover the cost of digitising and transcribing the 18,235,242 images created from the records supplied exclusively to us by The National Archives. It means these precious records are accessible, commitment-free, for everyone.

For all 12-month Pro subscribers, there will be a 10% discount on any 1921 Census purchases.

It is definitely very expensive. Especially when already paying a monthly subscription. 

So does that means just to see one household it will cost at least £2.50, plus the fee you have to pay to join. Less 25p if you are a 12 month member?

So everyone on Findmypast will have to subsidise the cost of digitising and transcribing the census, especially long term members, since I can't imagine that people will join for 12 months just to look up a few address.

So will you be able to get them from the National Archives direct?  Seems a bit odd that you couldn't get them from there. They are suppose to be the NATIONAL ARCHIVES. It would be strange if they get original documents then farm off them to a third party for the public to view.

I had a look at the National Archives site and they are full of it about the Census and how big a deal it is.

Anyway I left them this comment:

I am surprised that Find My Past will be charging a fee to look at each of the records on top of the fee to join the site. Up to £3.50 to look at one record.
As you are the National Archives is it a new policy to charge for looking at records that are housed at the site using an indirect method to do so?
It seems to me that Find My Past members are going to be subsidising work that the National Archives should have done itself.
Was there any discussion with any others about the sole use, or was it a shady deal?

• Like 1

From what I've read, the only way to view the 1921 census for free is to physically go down to The National Archives, Kew.

Anyone will be able to view the digital images of the 1921 Census of England and Wales for free on the premises at The National Archives at Kew upon release on 6 January 2022 (00:01 GMT). The original paper census returns will not be available in the reading rooms. The paper records will be kept secure by The National Archives at their offsite storage facility and readers at The National Archives at Kew will be directed to the digital version. This is to ensure the preservation of the paper records for years to come. Searching the 1921 Census will be free on Findmypast but viewing any images or transcriptions will be on a pay-per-view basis using Findmypast micropayments. 

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/articles/360009238958-is-there-any-way-i-can-view-the-1921-census-for-free-

I am fuming about this. I've been a full member of Ancestry.Com for 20 years and was hoping, nay expecting the 1921 census would eventually become part of their collection.

I for one will not be paying FindMyPast's exorbitant fees, that is pure greed.

Regards,

Jay.

I've just had this discussion on another Forum and one of the members said that it was the same system when the 1911 census was released...after a couple of years or so it went on FMP free, that was probably just before I took a subscription out.

I accept it needs paying for but when I've been paying them £100 plus per annum for the last few years 25p discount on a £2.50 record is a bit of a slap in the face.

I would love to know how much companies like Findmypast and Ancestry make per year in subscriptions. I thought that they would want to introduce new content to retain subscriptions and attract new customers. Even a small increase in the subscription (to recoup costs) would have been better than the pay per view system.

I've cancelled my subscriptions to both sites today. I'll sign up again in the future when the 1921 census is included in a subscription.

You can search the 1921 Census for free if you are a member on Find My Past providing you sign up first. Then you have to pay for any documents. 

I suspect that these Ancestry sites are kept going by the BBC TV series Who Do You Think You Are, which if not being shown live is on repeat on some other channels.  Though it was more obvious when it first started the family history sites were being plugged a lot. These days they try and avoid the subject of these sites. But on the other channels the repeats are often sponsored by one of them.