S.C.C.D. depot Prince of Wales Road

tozzin

Back in the fifties I remember the Sheffield City Cleansing Department depot situated on Prince of Wales Road, just past Pipworth  Road school, I do realise it was a fully functioning depot before the fifties, but the fifties was part of my childhood, I can remember the street sweepers coming on Harborough Avenue with their horse and carts, just sweeping the road edge and to me their carts looked MASSIVE as did the wheels that carried them, even the horses looked gigantic but the horses outlived their usefulness and were literally turned out to grass. Their replacements were much less glamorous, engine powered carts, I was sorry to see the horses go but you can’t stop progress. The  horse and carts were nearly the exact same as the photo apart from that the S.C.C.D. logo is missing and these cart wheels are much smaller the ones I remember must have been over five feet high.

FF5F1A4B-341F-4DA5-A635-F2CBA90F7F72.jpeg

The depot was used as the base for getting rid of lice infestations in people's homes.

After it closed it became the Manor Employment Project. Set up to create jobs for redundant steel workers. There was a particularly successful paving company operating from there, which I don't know if it still operates. Out of it also came Manor Training and Resource Centre, which is still running in the old Co-Op building in Prince of Wales Road.  

I really wanted feedback if anyone else can remember the depot as I do not what it became, I thought the old  Co-oP was now flats, I may be wrong.

3 hours ago, tozzin said:

I really wanted feedback if anyone else can remember the depot as I do not what it became, I thought the old  Co-oP was now flats, I may be wrong.

There were two Co-Ops on that Road, one on Fairleigh, which did become flats, after being a Housing Office for a while and the one lower down on the two semi-circles, just before the junction of Beaumont Road, which became Matrec.  The former site was sold off and a Hotel and Petrol station took it over. 

1 minute ago, History dude said:

There were two Co-Ops on that Road, one on Fairleigh, which did become flats, after being a Housing Office for a while and the one lower down on the two semi-circles, just before the junction of Beaumont Road, which became Matrec.  The former site was sold off and a Hotel and Petrol station took it over. 

That was always called “ The Shops “ it had two chip shops,Smedleys and Wilkinson’s, Tomlinsons bread shop, chemist , post office, plus others.

Two photos showing the Shops on the far side of the road shortly before the closure of the Co-Op dated 1983 and the site of the works in 1930, which still has Crab Tree Farm on it. The third image shows the Manor Employment Project, which used many of the buildings from the old depot.

Shops Prince of Wales Road 1983.jpg

Lower Manor 1930.jpg

MEP.jpg

The second photo shows the near completion of Pipworth Road School and the small lighter area in the field just above the farm is where my school St Theresa's, played football, I hated football even then and walking down to the ground my friends and I were really slow at walking down so we deliberately missed most of the sports lesson.