Sunshine Cafe

Jacdaw

My 89 year old cousin, who suffers from Altzheimers, remembers her mum taking her to Sunshine Cafe 'at the top of town'. They went to dance as her dad played the drums there. She was about 14, so I think it must have been around 1946. Does anyone know of it or have any photos please. Sorry I cant be more specific with the location. It would be lovely to show her photos of something she remembers. Thank you All x

A bit of a long shot but, i wonder if she means this building, there was a cafe restaurant on the second floor my dad used to take me too, in the mid 50s, sunshine cafe rings a bell. It is on Surrey street right opposite the Town hall.20211022_124638.thumb.jpg.fc4d9d928d21f60dc5b978baa912af42.jpg

I remember going to the Sunshine Cafe in the early 1950s fo tea and cakes or sometimes eggs on toast, with my mother, as a treat. We usually walked via Orchard Street to Church St, to reach the Campo Lane bus stop for the Hillsboro or Wisewood buses Nos 13 or 14.  The Sunshine cafe as I remember it was a vegetarian establishment??

• Like 1

On 18/10/2021 at 18:30, Jacdaw said:

My 89 year old cousin, who suffers from Altzheimers, remembers her mum taking her to Sunshine Cafe 'at the top of town'. They went to dance as her dad played the drums there. She was about 14, so I think it must have been around 1946. Does anyone know of it or have any photos please. Sorry I cant be more specific with the location. It would be lovely to show her photos of something she remembers. Thank you All x

Sunshine Cafe, Orchard Street.

Sheffield Independent 07 November 1936

Sheffield 1.JPG

Sheffield 2.JPG

Sheffield 3.JPG

• Like 2

an image from the 30’s showing the cafe, which may have looked the same in the 40’s?

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t11030&prevUrl=

The stone work around the window is still there, if you look at the current image, next to the Museum pub, which you can also see next door in the old photo.

DC6AA10F-98BA-4B39-BB94-36439F26B86C.jpeg

71618ACA-2E7A-4B62-A6F2-7D3F4871A197.jpeg

• Like 1

On 18/10/2021 at 18:30, Jacdaw said:

Hi, All you wonderful people! I'm so so sorry its taken me ages to reply, I forgot which website I'd joined....then inadvertently found it again whilst doing my family tree! I cannot believe you found it for me, you are all truly amazing! I know this sounds ridiculous, but I'm really touched and genuinely emotional at the effort you've put in to this. Where on earth did you find the photos? I can't wait to show my cousin your results. And I promise to let you know how she reacts. Thank you, thank you  😍🤗

• Like 1