The cottage, main road, dronfield woodhouse.

Amanda Coward

Our ancestor, James Howard Morewood, died at the above address in 1938 and was buried at St. Swithin's Church.

This address appears to no longer exist. After numerous searches, it is unclear whether the area has been demolished or given another name.

There are numerous cottages of some age in the area but they do not correlate with any of my information so far.

Does anyone have information about this ?

Hello Amanda, it seems that CARR LANE was and is the Main Road through Dronfield Woodhouse,

and on the 1939 Register 'THE COTTAGE' is listed on Carr Lane with the Brown household in it.

Hope this helps, Heartshome.  

I'm afraid I can't help you concerning your specific question, but I wondered if you know anything about the Morewoods' connection with Holmesfield where there is a Moorwoods Lane with two Moorwoods Farms on it. Regards, Tony Moorwood  PS Some branches of the Morewood family started spelling the name Moorwood - it's the same family.

Many thanks to everyone for all your helpful replies. 

The newspaper article is very helpful.

However, it appears, there were two of the cottages (ref. 1939 register) one being Carr Lane which I now think is no. 88,  and Main Road, Dronfield Woodhouse which refers to Holmesfield.  These both belonged to the same family I believe. Question - were they affluent enough to own two?

Mary Brown, the daughter of James Morewood, (who was present at her father's death) stated her address,  and his, as The Cottage, Main Road, Dronfield Woodhouse., which suggests she may have lived with her father albeit temporarily during his final illness. The 1939 Register shows this lady to be in ~The Cottage, Carr Lane, Dronfield Wodhouse. Are we to assume that upon her fathers death, she was merely a visitor at another address? Complicated - anyone got any more ideas?

Regarding Moorwood's Lane, Holmesfield. Every time I have travelled up and down there I have wondered if there is a connection and would love to know more. Comments please?

thank you so much for your imput.

• Like 1

This is an interesting puzzle. So, as I understand it:

In the 1911 census, Mary has already married (James Brown) and is living at Dobbin Hill. By 1939 she is living with James at The Cottage, Carr Lane. I'm assuming that Carr Lane was their marital home.

In the 1911 census, James Morewood was living with his family (wife Fanny and son Joseph) at Peveril Road, Sheffield. 

I went back to the 1911 census to see if there was a long standing family (Brown or Morewood) connection to The Cottage at Carr Lane or Main Road, but this isn't the case.

Could Fanny have been nursed at Mary's home (Carr Lane) in her final days? Perhaps Mary was taking care of her father at his home (Main Road) when he died? 

It's a shame that there aren't available records to document where they were all living between 1911 and 1939. This would help you figure out if they really were in two separate houses or if they all lived together (at Carr Lane) and the Main Road detail is a red herring. As @Heartshome said, perhaps Carr Lane was referred to as the main road. When you follow the route of the 1939 register, Carr Lane and Main Road are continuous with each other. Perhaps they all lived in The Cottage and it was near the junction of Carr Lane and Main Road. Hence, the locations Carr Lane and Main Road were used interchangeably. 

This website is excellent for viewing old Ordnance Survey maps: https://maps.nls.uk/os/

If you have an old census open, you can attempt to walk the route that they took as the details were recorded. This might help you narrow down where 'The Cottage' on Main road was located. You can then cross reference with Google Street view.

EDIT: @Amanda Coward Perhaps the 1921 census will fill in the gaps when it's released in January 2022.

Morewood.jpg

• Like 1

Suspect you know this now, but the 1921 census shows JH Morewood (my great grand uncle) as living on Ringinglow Road with his daughter and son in law James A Brown.  I have been unable to find out any more about The Cottage, Main Road/Carr Lane via the census records or frequent walks along those very roads!  Anyone else have any luck?

My Great grand father was in business with JHM.  It seems they went their seperate ways, (probably before 1911) I suspect somewhat acrimoniously as my late mother never talked about them despite them living in later years relatively near where I was brought up.  Anyone from that side of the family have any family stories that might stoke or dampen down that  theory?

JHM's and Fanny's gravestone is visible in the church graveyard in case you were not aware.726473222_JamesHowardFannyMorewoodheadstoneHolmesfield.thumb.jpg.70781ad37b61d50574b245231801f267.jpg