SHEFFIELD ANCESTRY

Kim

Hello. My paternal grandparents lived in Darnall from 1908 and 1911 respectively - Herbert Walter Webster and Florence Lovell; they moved to Halstead in Essex (near to where I now live) around 1932 and married in 1933. My grandad was manager at Burgeons in Darnall and I think they probably moved down south for employment prospects, as I have seen a photo of him in his grocer’s uniform outside a shop in Halstead. If anyone on here remembers either family or the shop from Darnall, I would love to here from you. As a child, I never thought to ask nan and grandad about their early lives together (who does?) so now I am having to piece together any snippets of information that I can find from other sources that are available to me. TIA - Kim Anderson

Perhaps not much help to your story Kim, but on my search the only Burgeon I can find is a dentist...is it possible this is the company?

Snap-2021-10-07-at-18-38-47.png

• Thanks 1

If I remember correctly, Burgon's, the grocers,   joined up with Gowers  also a grocers. There was a Gowers on Gleadless Rd - Foster Road corner)

I remember clearly seeing the nameplate, Gowers & Burgons somewhere.

On 08/10/2021 at 08:27, Organgrinder said:

If I remember correctly, Burgon's, the grocers,   joined up with Gowers  also a grocers. There was a Gowers on Gleadless Rd - Foster Road corner)

There was a Gowers and Burgons next to Ellesmere Library.  My great aunt Eve worked there.

On 07/10/2021 at 18:41, Sadbrewer said:

Perhaps not much help to your story Kim, but on my search the only Burgeon I can find is a dentist...is it possible this is the company?

Just now, Kim said:

Thankyou so much for this, which I have only just seen 🤦‍♀️ Appreciate you taking the time to send ☺️

On 08/10/2021 at 08:27, Organgrinder said:

Thanyou so much for taking the time to reply ☺️ I have only just seen this - not logged on for a while 🤦‍♀️

On 27/10/2021 at 10:38, Sam Xavier said:

There was a Gowers and Burgons next to Ellesmere Library.  My great aunt Eve worked there.

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply, although I have only just logged on after a few months! 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2

On 07/10/2021 at 18:41, Sadbrewer said:

I think you could be right! Thankyou so much ☺️

On 07/10/2021 at 18:06, Kim said:

Hello. My paternal grandparents lived in Darnall from 1908 and 1911 respectively - Herbert Walter Webster and Florence Lovell; they moved to Halstead in Essex (near to where I now live) around 1932 and married in 1933. My grandad was manager at Burgeons in Darnall and I think they probably moved down south for employment prospects, as I have seen a photo of him in his grocer’s uniform outside a shop in Halstead. If anyone on here remembers either family or the shop from Darnall, I would love to here from you. As a child, I never thought to ask nan and grandad about their early lives together (who does?) so now I am having to piece together any snippets of information that I can find from other sources that are available to me. TIA - Kim Anderson

Both can be found on https://www.familysearch.org/en/

Herbert's baptism?

WEBSTER, Herbert Walter (of 6 Park View Terrace, born ~).
     Baptised May 20, 1908, by G G Swann at Holy Trinity, Darnall.
     Parents name(s) are Frances Eliza & James Sydney (Miner).
http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

• Like 1