Help with Kelly’s Directories

Andrea B

Hi can anyone help me with info from Kelly’s for the following :

Albert Road 1969

Jeffrey Street 1947-1956

Thomas street 1912/13

Tuffolds Close 1939-1949

any of the years would be a huge help. Thanks! 

Hi Andrea B

All I have, (1968 is nearest I can get to your 1969 request I'm afraid).

Good searching

Leipzig

Albert Road 1968.jpg

Jeffre Street 1948.jpg

Jeffrey Street 1951.jpg

Jeffrey Street 1954.jpg

Thomas Street 1912.png

Tuffolds Close 1940.jpg

44 minutes ago, Leipzig said:

Hi Andrea B

All I have, (1968 is nearest I can get to your 1969 request I'm afraid).

Good searching

Leipzig

Albert Road 1968.jpg

Jeffre Street 1948.jpg

Jeffrey Street 1951.jpg

Jeffrey Street 1954.jpg

Thomas Street 1912.png

Tuffolds Close 1940.jpg

Thank you so much. This has been a MASSIVE help. Do you own original copies of the books or can you access them online?? I have a few other address I want to look up so I'm hoping there is a copy online somewhere. Thanks again, it is much appreciated.

Hi Andrea B

You can download free copies (,pdf format) of directories at: http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4

The ones for Sheffield & Rotherham are available certainly up to 1911.

Also if you search ebay, you will find Sheffield cds available for the years: 1922, 1925 and 1933 (although 1933 has a lot of page omissions).

There used to be a CD for the year 1957 but I haven't seen this for a while.

The books I have scanned I own, but Kelly's Directories of Sheffield  from 1925 on, are hard to obtain these days.

I usually do not scan the directories as they are very large heavy books, and I do not have the appropriate equipment to do so without the risk of damage. Usually someone will ask for a name at a particular address, or street, and if there is a  match, I forward the typed info. Hope this helps.

I know the frustration of wondering where someone might have lived if only you had access to the info. Certainly if you have any more queries I will try to pick them up; no problem.

If you check out the Sheffield Local Studies Library Collection they have a very good range of Directories. Not all listed are always available as there are always some which are being repaired. They are not accessible online unfortunately and you do need to be able to physically visit the library to view them; which has not been possible for almost the last two years; but they are now open at the moment. However not a lot of help if you do not live locally.

Also check out the Sheffield Indexers site, just like the Sheffield Histories site it is full of useful free information and transcripts (Directories included).

Kind regards

Leipzig 

That’s great! Thank you for the information. I don’t live in Sheffield but hopefully I can make a visit soon and look up the remainder. I will have a look on eBay. Once again, thanks for all your help. 

I was looking for Sheffield directories myself for the late 60's and on e-bay they are very rare. The prices when they do come up will be £100+ too.

Funny enough those for other parts of the UK for the same period are very cheap in comparison. Which seems odd.

14 hours ago, History dude said:

I was looking for Sheffield directories myself for the late 60's and on e-bay they are very rare. The prices when they do come up will be £100+ too.

Funny enough those for other parts of the UK for the same period are very cheap in comparison. Which seems odd.

I've noticed that too!