The Berni Steak Bar on Orchard Street?

Sheffield History

I was a pretty regular customer back when the height of fashion was….wide lapels ,big ties, bell bottom trousers and stack heels……those were the days! 
 The Bernis were pretty trendy places…but we had far less choice especially when eating out ,for many ,was a bit of a novelty.

12 hours ago, rover1949 said:

Still there.

The Roman Room was on Orchard Street late 60s, but not sure if it was the same location?

image.png.eb8a616cb87daedbc8e2c2673ea6ef2d.png

Wow thank you - I always thought that was a new build!

The whole area was extensively rebuilt when they developed the Orchard Square shopping precinct but you can still see much of the original building.

I got my picture in The Star when Prince Charles came to open it mid 80s.

Me and my (then) girlfriend visited the Berni a few times for meals out when I used to meet her in town for drinks. As Lysander said, there were few places to eat out and Berni had a sort of grown up feeling about it, to a couple of youngsters. That would be around 1974-5. There was also a Berni at Meadowhead, near where she lived, so we also went there. Also anyone remember luncheon vouchers? I used to get them as a perk at work and they were valid for the Berni, so we used them there for a cheap meal. Not long after, the first American burger joints opened on Eccy Road, very popular with us at the time and taking younger people away from the Berni.

The beauty of a Berni meal is that it was exactly the same whichever inn  you chose. 
I still don’t think anyone does a steak like they did.

The prices look quite comical in comparison with today’s !!

E819ECEB-21AB-420C-93B1-E3D747039A40.jpeg

I used to be the Manager. I opened the BSB in 1970.  Left to open a new Branch in Scunthorpe then Ran the White Hose Hotel in Hull. Retuned to Sheffield to run the Norton Meadowhead. Great times Happy memories

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 11:39, paulhib48 said:

The beauty of a Berni meal is that it was exactly the same whichever inn  you chose. 
I still don’t think anyone does a steak like they did.

The prices look quite comical in comparison with today’s !!

E819ECEB-21AB-420C-93B1-E3D747039A40.jpeg

It does show how tastes and times have changed. Who orders sherry as an aperitif nowadays?

Rump steak dearer than sirloin.....Chianti dearer than Chateauneuf du Pape....and a roll and butter with your steak and chips.

Strangely, they had adopted the Australian term for a large glass, schooner, but not the Aussie word for a smaller one, midi or middy.

On 11/03/2022 at 23:41, Lindsay Gambling said:

I used to be the Manager. I opened the BSB in 1970.  Left to open a new Branch in Scunthorpe then Ran the White Hose Hotel in Hull. Retuned to Sheffield to run the Norton Meadowhead. Great times Happy memories

Loved the Norton at Meadowhead ! Used it a lot for family get togethers.

Me too johnm 

Was absolutely our favourite place to go for quite some years .

We always went in the side room rather than the main pub . the Duck Bar or something ?

We once went to a wedding where they got married in the morning, had a buffet early afternoon above the Big Tree then ended the day with a nice Berni steak at the Norton.

The perfect day 😂