Mystery photo. J. DREWERY

John Scholefield

This picture was part of my Grandmother's effects. Her name was Elsie Scholefield, nee Foster. Her Mothers maiden name was Goodison. We believe the picture is Joseph Drewery, Potato merchant, Sheaf Market 1903. We have no clue of any connection or why this and only 2 other different cherished pictures were in my Grandma's effects. If anyone out there has any ideas or leads to follow we would be grateful. 

IMG_20210925_100938.jpg

Interesting one this John.

The only reference I can find to Joseph Drewery Potato Merchant ( Sheaf Market) is on Sheffield indexers site. There are no Joseph Drewery's showing on Sheffield 1891,1901,1911 census returns. There are Joseph Drewery farmers cropping up in Lincs, Notts and East Yorks...perhaps they sent the produce to their own stall on the market but never lived there, it could be that your relative ( assumption) ran the stall?

A Joseph Drewery married a Martha Kidger in Sheffield in 1920.

Below is a list of people who married Drewery's from 1903 to 1937...do any of those names match your family tree?

Moorhouse Herbert  Sheffield

Priestley Thomas   Sheffield

Wragg Cassy  Sheffield

Marriages Jun 1905 

BURNAND Mary Howson 

ELSOM Annie  Sheffield

Reedman Charles  Sheffield

Marriages Jun 1906  

Crowther Harold   Sheffield

MEYNELL Marian   Sheffield

Swallow Beatrice   Sheffield

Marriages Dec 1916   (>99%)

Owens Robert Drewery Sheffield

Marriages Dec 1920

Kidger Martha Drewery Sheffield

Marriages Dec 1927  

FROST Frances A Drewery Sheffield

Marriages Jun 1932  

White Constance V Drewery Sheffield

Marriages Dec 1935 

Tissington John Drewery Sheffield

Marriages Sep 1936 

Heap Reginald Drewery Sheffield

Wilson Dorothy Drewery Sheffield

Marriages Sep 1937  

Moore Margaret E Drewery Sheffield

Thank you for that. No connections there but at least I might be able finally close off a loose end

Regards

DREWERY, Joseph (Retired, age 84).
     Died at Toll Bar House, Norton Avenue; Buried on December 29, 1954 in ~ ground;
     Grave Number T7, Section ~ of Intake Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: : from Gleadless Parish: Officiating Minister: R.H. Jones.

20 hours ago, John Scholefield said:

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: : from Gleadless Parish: Officiating Minister: R.H. Jones.

Seems to be the chap in the 1939 register

Snap-2021-10-05-at-11-30-31.png

4 minutes ago, John Scholefield said:

Forgive my ignorance but which register of 1939..?

The 1939 register was effectively a national census taken by the Government on the eve of WW2. Its available on both Findmypast and Ancestry.

The 1939 Register did not contain everyone as many men were away in the Services. In addition anyone who is still alive is redacted. One useful part was that in later years the NHS updated it to show the married names of women. That's why some womens surnames are crossed out & replaced with married name

On 04/10/2021 at 14:38, John Scholefield said:

My wife was the daughter of Joseph. His census returns show him as a farm Labourer and later a traction engine driver. No suggestion of him being a potato merchant. They did live in the old toll house , which had no electricity or water. His wife Martha died the year after their twin daughters were born. 

Screenshot_20221104-170553_Family Tree.jpg

Just now, Old Sheffield said:

My wife was the daughter of Joseph. His census returns show him as a farm Labourer and later a traction engine driver. No suggestion of him being a potato merchant. They did live in the old toll house , which had no electricity or water. His wife Martha died the year after their twin daughters were born. 

Screenshot_20221104-170553_Family Tree.jpg

Apologies  , should read my wife's Great Aunt was daughter of Joseph. We aren't quite that old. 

To add to the confusion the family alternated between using Drewery, Drury and Drewry. My wife's great Aunt would alternate between each spelling on a whim.