The Grocers

ajsimp

Hello,

Can anyone help, I would like to find the location of The Grocer`s, Attercliffe, in the 1880`s.

I imagine it will have been on Attercliffe Common.

Thanks

3 hours ago, ajsimp said:

Hello,

Can anyone help, I would like to find the location of The Grocer`s, Attercliffe, in the 1880`s.

Thanks

Sorry, I do not understand your question?

Kelly's directory, published 1881

K_1881.jpg

On 09/09/2021 at 16:00, ajsimp said:

Hello,

Thanks

Obviously not a lot to go on there and, it probably goes without saying, there were a lot of grocers in Attercliffe at the time. However, if you have specific grounds to believe it was Attercliffe Common then I would take a stab in the dark that it refers to 30, Attercliffe Common (Timothy Johnson) which was reputed to have been an establishment of very long standing at that time,

On 09/09/2021 at 19:26, SteveHB said:

Kelly's directory, published 1881

Would it be acceptable to quiz you about beer retailers appearing in there at some point, if it's a personal copy?

12 hours ago, leksand said:

Obviously not a lot to go on there and, it probably goes without saying, there were a lot of grocers in Attercliffe at the time. However, if you have specific grounds to believe it was Attercliffe Common then I would take a stab in the dark that it refers to 30, Attercliffe Common (Timothy Johnson) which was reputed to have been an establishment of very long standing at that time,

Would it be acceptable to quiz you about beer retailers appearing in there at some point, if it's a personal copy?

Kelly's Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire, 1881, is available to view or download, it is in 3 parts.

Part 1: County Information & Places A-K.
Part 2: Places L-Y
Part 3: Court & Trade Directories.

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/search/searchterm/Yorkshire/field/place/mode/exact/conn/and/order/nosort

Ke_Yo_1881.jpg

10 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Kelly's Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire, 1881, is available to view or download, it is in 3 parts.

Part 1: County Information & Places A-K.
Part 2: Places L-Y
Part 3: Court & Trade Directories.

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/search/searchterm/Yorkshire/field/place/mode/exact/conn/and/order/nosort

Thanks (kind of)! I'd overlooked that, imagining it had rather lesser content than it does. It's going to be hideous job to audit.

Hello SteveHB,

I have since found out that the Grocer`s was No. 1 Attercliffe, according to your Kelly`s post, there is no no. 1 entered for Attercliffe Common.

Perhaps it was not Attercliffe Common but Attercliffe Road

The" Green Grocer`s" in question was supposedly run by George Simson North, known locally as "Black Bob of Darnall", who was previously a policeman in Attercliffe at the time of Charlie Peace.

I just wanted to find the location of the shop if possible.

Regards Alan

15 hours ago, ajsimp said:

Hello SteveHB,

I have since found out that the Grocer`s was No. 1 Attercliffe, according to your Kelly`s post, there is no no. 1 entered for Attercliffe Common.

Perhaps it was not Attercliffe Common but Attercliffe Road

The" Green Grocer`s" in question was supposedly run by George Simson North, known locally as "Black Bob of Darnall", who was previously a policeman in Attercliffe at the time of Charlie Peace.

I just wanted to find the location of the shop if possible.

Regards Alan

Hello Alan, all we need to do now is find the location on a map.

North Geo, 382 High Street, Attercliffe. Fruiterers & Greengrocers. (from: Kelly's, court & trade directory, published 1881).

Kelly's Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire, 1881.

high st_attercliffe_k_w yorkshire_1881.jpg