Jump to content

The Grocers


ajsimp
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

Can anyone help, I would like to find the location of The Grocer`s, Attercliffe, in the 1880`s.

I imagine it will have been on Attercliffe Common.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ajsimp said:

Hello,

Can anyone help, I would like to find the location of The Grocer`s, Attercliffe, in the 1880`s.

I imagine it will have been on Attercliffe Common.

Thanks

Sorry, I do not understand your question?

Kelly's directory, published 1881

K_1881.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/09/2021 at 16:00, ajsimp said:

Hello,

Can anyone help, I would like to find the location of The Grocer`s, Attercliffe, in the 1880`s.

I imagine it will have been on Attercliffe Common.

Thanks

Obviously not a lot to go on there and, it probably goes without saying, there were a lot of grocers in Attercliffe at the time. However, if you have specific grounds to believe it was Attercliffe Common then I would take a stab in the dark that it refers to 30, Attercliffe Common (Timothy Johnson) which was reputed to have been an establishment of very long standing at that time,

On 09/09/2021 at 19:26, SteveHB said:

Kelly's directory, published 1881

Would it be acceptable to quiz you about beer retailers appearing in there at some point, if it's a personal copy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, leksand said:

Obviously not a lot to go on there and, it probably goes without saying, there were a lot of grocers in Attercliffe at the time. However, if you have specific grounds to believe it was Attercliffe Common then I would take a stab in the dark that it refers to 30, Attercliffe Common (Timothy Johnson) which was reputed to have been an establishment of very long standing at that time,

Would it be acceptable to quiz you about beer retailers appearing in there at some point, if it's a personal copy?

Kelly's Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire, 1881, is available to view or download, it is in 3 parts.


Part 1: County Information & Places A-K.
Part 2: Places L-Y
Part 3: Court & Trade Directories.

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/search/searchterm/Yorkshire/field/place/mode/exact/conn/and/order/nosort

Ke_Yo_1881.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Kelly's Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire, 1881, is available to view or download, it is in 3 parts.


Part 1: County Information & Places A-K.
Part 2: Places L-Y
Part 3: Court & Trade Directories.

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/search/searchterm/Yorkshire/field/place/mode/exact/conn/and/order/nosort

 

Thanks (kind of)! I'd overlooked that, imagining it had rather lesser content than it does. It's going to be hideous job to audit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello SteveHB,

I have since found out that the Grocer`s was No. 1 Attercliffe, according to your Kelly`s post, there is no no. 1 entered for Attercliffe Common.

Perhaps it was not Attercliffe Common but Attercliffe Road

The" Green Grocer`s" in question was supposedly run by George Simson North, known locally as "Black Bob of Darnall", who was previously a policeman in Attercliffe at the time of Charlie Peace.

I just wanted to find the location of the shop if possible.

Regards Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ajsimp said:

Hello SteveHB,

I have since found out that the Grocer`s was No. 1 Attercliffe, according to your Kelly`s post, there is no no. 1 entered for Attercliffe Common.

Perhaps it was not Attercliffe Common but Attercliffe Road

The" Green Grocer`s" in question was supposedly run by George Simson North, known locally as "Black Bob of Darnall", who was previously a policeman in Attercliffe at the time of Charlie Peace.

I just wanted to find the location of the shop if possible.

Regards Alan

Hello Alan, all we need to do now is find the location on a map.

North Geo, 382 High Street, Attercliffe. Fruiterers & Greengrocers. (from: Kelly's, court & trade directory, published 1881).

 

Kelly's Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire, 1881.

high st_attercliffe_k_w yorkshire_1881.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...