Empire Theatre Sheffield

davidp

I refer to the last days of the Empire Theatre. I would like to know if there is copyright on a photograph taken of Albert Modley sitting in the auditorium at the Empire just before demolition. I would like to use this photograph in an article for a newsletter associated with The Frank Matcham Society. Any help would be appreciated.

davidpiper@tiscali.co.uk

David, my understanding of the applicable copyright in this country (and I'm not a lawyer) is:

• If the copyright was owned by an individual then it subsists for 70 years after the death of the copyright holder.  To be out of copyright the photographer must have died before 31/12/1950.
  • If the copyright is corporate then it subsists for 70 years since first publication or if it has not been published since creation.

However, if a third party has made the photograph available by doing some work on it, such as publishing it online, then they may have a copyright interest for some lesser term.  I would seriously advise you to seek professional advice if there is any doubt, particularly since a newsletter could be held to be a publication, not merely a private copy for study.

Hi Martin, Do you have any thoughts as to the origin of the photograph. I really would like to use it as it is very relevant to the article?

On 02/09/2021 at 16:05, davidp said:

I refer to the last days of the Empire Theatre. I would like to know if there is copyright on a photograph taken of Albert Modley sitting in the auditorium at the Empire just before demolition. I would like to use this photograph in an article for a newsletter associated with The Frank Matcham Society. Any help would be appreciated.

davidpiper@tiscali.co.uk

Where did you locate the photo? Was it online or in a publication?

If in a publication (such as a book) write to the copyright owner of the book. They will be able to tell you where they obtained it. Book publisher's address can be found in the Writers and Artist Yearbook, which is published every year and can be sourced in libraries. Or you can look them up on line.

If the building was about to be demolished then it might have been a newsworthy so could be a Sheffield Newspaper's photo.