Does anyone know when the 17 bus was extended from Millhouses to Totley Brook ?

JS2021

Does anyone know when the 17 bus was extended from Millhouses to Totley Brook ?
I know it was before 1978 as we still lived in the area then and I could then start catching the number 17 instead of the number 50, but when ?!?

I believe the route was extended because of the new council estate built in that area, as an additional question does anyone know the period over which that estate was constructed ?

IIRC the 17 bus ran past Millhouses and on up Dobcroft Rd in the 1960s.  Going home from Carterknowle School I could get either the 17 or 24 to either Millhouses Post office or The Terminus for 2d.  Wednesdays I had to get on a 17 and a 3d ride took me up to my piano teacher.

South Yorkshire Transport 1974-1995 by  D. S. Hellewell gives the date as 5th September 1976.  Prior to that date the 17 did a loop from the bottom of Millhouses Lane  via Abbeydale Road South, Abbey Lane, Hutcliffe Wood Road and Archer Road.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Peter Hall said:

South Yorkshire Transport 1974-1995 by  D. S. Hellewell gives the date as 5th September 1976.  Prior to that date the 17 did a loop from the bottom of Millhouses Lane  via Abbeydale Road South, Abbey Lane, Hutcliffe Wood Road and Archer Road.  

Thanks very much, I think I might buy that book !