Clay Wheels Lane Rolling Mills Ltd

Phil Lockwood

Thanks. However the rolling mills I am looking for were still in use in the late 60s / early 70s and employed a small narrow gauge battery locomotive within the works. Do you think they could have been "modern" rolling mills built on the site shown on the old map / Google Earth?

9 hours ago, Phil Lockwood said:

Thanks. However the rolling mills I am looking for were still in use in the late 60s / early 70s and employed a small narrow gauge battery locomotive within the works. Do you think they could have been "modern" rolling mills built on the site shown on the old map / Google Earth?

This map is of that period and shows ‘travelling crane’ on the site, so maybe this is what you are looking for?

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/432453/391942/12/100955

AD853E5F-5766-4D18-A025-1DCA1DFF8CB4.jpeg

Thanks for your replies. The map is what I was looking for. I think the narrow gauge railway was within one of the buildings. Incidentally the Picture Sheffield Winn Gardens photo is incorrectly captioned; in the back ground is Niagara Forge now United Crane Services

• Thanks 1

Two of my uncles used to work at this place in the 1950s, but it wasnt referred to as Clay wheels Lane Rolling Mills. Im sure they called it Dunford and Elliott. 

I think the place had a few names following take overs and “rationalisation”. Dunford and Elliot was the company which took over the much larger Hadfielda forming Dunford Hadfields…..this company incorporated all the subsidiaries of the two companies.

11 hours ago, RLongden said:

It does mention a rolling mill at Claywheels Lane on the 1952 poster on the Grace's Guide page.

What I most remember of my uncles working there was the singed bottoms on their trouser legs from catching the red hot steel with tongs to move it onto the next position in the rolls.