Hancock Family

Sally G

Hi.  I am new to this site, but have done many years of research into my Sheffield ancestors.  I am particularly interested in the Hancock family - Herbert Hancock born 28 March 1873 and his father William Henry Hancock born 1834.  Both were in the shoe business, in partnership with the Willis family in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  Does anyone have any information they would be happy to share?  Many thanks in advance.

Many thanks for the three articles.  I am now trying to go a bit further back - Herbert's father was William Henry Hancock (1834-1894) and mother Ellen Ogden (b. 1835).  Any help gratefully recieved!

Hi Sally,

When William Hancock married Ellen Ogden at St Georges in 1835, he gave his fathers name as 'Archelaus Hancock, confectioner'.

1841 census, Pinfold St, Sheffield.

Archealus Hancock, 32 (1809), Confectioner, NOT born in county.

Martha Hancock, 31, born in county.

Louisa Hancock, 9, William 7, Elizabeth 4 and Albert 2.  Children all born in county.

Archelaus Hancock married Martha Dungworth, 25 April 1830 at Sheffield Parish Church.

Archilus Hancock baptised 28 May 1809 at Eyam, Derbyshire, parents Francis and Mary. 

• Like 1