Thorp Road/ Thorp Close.

J. Hardwick

I  wonder if any of you knowledgeable people can help me. I was born in 1942 on Thorp Road Highfields, and lived there at number 20 until 1965 . I was married in 1965 and bought number 36, where we lived until around 1969. The road has now become Thorp Close. I occasionally visit the area and can't quite get my bearings. Thorp close is on the original footprint of Thorp Road, but altered and shortened at it's junction with Hill Street. I walk up Thorp Close and try to visualize where number 36 and number 20 were. Some of the top water gullies (fever grates) look to be original, and there is an area of cobbled road that has been left in situ at the top near the junction with Alderson Road. The cobbles are original as there are still remnants of the pitch joints that we used to enjoy pulling out and rolling into balls on hot days.

My request is this, can anyone provide an O. S. map of Thorpe Close, with an overlay of 1940's /1950's Thorp Road, hopefully showing house numbers. I know the request for house numbers is a big ask, but that aside any contribution would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance. J. Hardwick.

Hi J. Hardwick

You need to look at the 1950s ordnance survey maps (over 300 of them!)  in the map section of this site.

Link to the map you need, map No.13 is here:

Map_13_watermark__upload.jpg

Kind regards

Leipzig

Guest leksand
22 hours ago, J. Hardwick said:

I  wonder if any of you knowledgeable people can help me. I was born in 1942 on Thorp Road Highfields, and lived there at number 20 until 1965 . I was married in 1965 and bought number 36, where we lived until around 1969. The road has now become Thorp Close. I occasionally visit the area and can't quite get my bearings. Thorp close is on the original footprint of Thorp Road, but altered and shortened at it's junction with Hill Street. I walk up Thorp Close and try to visualize where number 36 and number 20 were. Some of the top water gullies (fever grates) look to be original, and there is an area of cobbled road that has been left in situ at the top near the junction with Alderson Road. The cobbles are original as there are still remnants of the pitch joints that we used to enjoy pulling out and rolling into balls on hot days.

My request is this, can anyone provide an O. S. map of Thorpe Close, with an overlay of 1940's /1950's Thorp Road, hopefully showing house numbers. I know the request for house numbers is a big ask, but that aside any contribution would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance. J. Hardwick.

Image5.jpg.6ad4046717306ddc3620acd692f25e47.jpg

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the present googlemaps numbers, though there would appear to be concurrence on the older properties on Woodhead Road. The overlaid map is a section from that posted above slightly reorienated & rescaled. A slightly rushed job but I think the alignment is fairly accurate.

On 23/08/2021 at 14:33, leksand said:

Image5.jpg.6ad4046717306ddc3620acd692f25e47.jpg

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the present googlemaps numbers, though there would appear to be concurrence on the older properties on Woodhead Road. The overlaid map is a section from that posted above slightly reorienated & rescaled. A slightly rushed job but I think the alignment is fairly accurate.

Hello Leksand,

Thanks very much for your kind assistance This is exactly what I was looking for.

Kind Regards, J. Hardwick.

On 22/08/2021 at 16:46, Leipzig said:

Hi J. Hardwick

You need to look at the 1950s ordnance survey maps (over 300 of them!)  in the map section of this site.

Link to the map you need, map No.13 is here:

Map_13_watermark__upload.jpg

Kind regards

Leipzig

Thanks for the map Leipzig and the pointer as to where to look.

Kind Regards, J. Hardwick.