Letter from German WW2 POW Camp Norton Sheffield

LeadFarmer

I have a letter written by a German POW from Norton camp on Cinderhill Lane S8, presumably to his family back home?

Anyone able to interpret it for me please, and does anyone have any info on Norton POW camp?

1a.thumb.JPG.e2c58e1c8b8868e092a9d1743e369d88.JPG

1b.thumb.JPG.37529f91cb69c0a6c3691c20bb65be34.JPG

1c.thumb.JPG.1bbe88463fd1d0292e2cf16c2530f527.JPG

I have shown this letter to my German friend Holger who is going to try and translate it. He's having a problem with the clarity of the words but is going to use some software to hopefully highlight it all and make it more readable.

On 23/04/2023 at 22:58, Snozzle said:

I have shown this letter to my German friend Holger who is going to try and translate it. He's having a problem with the clarity of the words but is going to use some software to hopefully highlight it all and make it more readable.

Thank you , that is much appreciated. I would love to know what is says.

It's a shame no photos or information exists about the POW camp.

On 25/04/2023 at 17:56, Snozzle said:

Found this online:

https://www.ww2pow.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/248Norton.docx

Just out of interest Leadfarmer, how did you come across the letter?

Thanks for the link.

I found the letter for sale on eBay so I purchased it. I live within walking distance of Cinderhill Lane so it caught my interest.

Right, I'm starting to make some progress with the translation of this German POW letter. Steve, one of my ex BT colleagues, had sent it on to his German friend Marten who says he gets the gist of the letter and has so far gleaned the following:

It seems the writer is responding to the last letter, where it appears they were discussing a return to Germany. He has no big news himself, but is asking after a certain Paul who he is annoyed with because he hasn't heard from him. He sends his best wishes to Otto and his entire family. Marten also goes on to say that it's hard when we haven't seen the letter from Otto, and don't know what they're referring to, but this is as much as he can work out so far. 

3 hours ago, Snozzle said:

Right, I'm starting to make some progress with the translation of this German POW letter. Steve, one of my ex BT colleagues, had sent it on to his German friend Marten who says he gets the gist of the letter and has so far gleaned the following:

It seems the writer is responding to the last letter, where it appears they were discussing a return to Germany. He has no big news himself, but is asking after a certain Paul who he is annoyed with because he hasn't heard from him. He sends his best wishes to Otto and his entire family. Marten also goes on to say that it's hard when we haven't seen the letter from Otto, and don't know what they're referring to, but this is as much as he can work out so far. 

That's really interesting, and lovely to now know what some of the letter is saying. I guess that with all letters being read by the British before being sent then we could negate a plot to break him out from the prison camp 😀

I do appreciate the time and effort you have put into this, thank you, and please do pass on my thanks to your BT colleague and also if possible to Marten if you can.

Steve