Tinsley Cooling towers

knightstemplar

Now I'm not sure how far this is true, but I have a very good friend who works for a Rotherham based demolition company who has heard a rumor that an American company has won the contract to drop the cooling towers.

The plan was for the drop to be carried out before last christmas but something delayed it but rumor has it, and again I must stress this is only rumor, that the contract has to be fulfilled within six weeks!!

Insiders are guessing that the M1 will be shut for a weekend (friday pm 'til sunday) so as the decks of tinsley can be covered with the drop probably taking place on the Sunday.

I've heard these types of tales before but personally never heard one with so much detail and thats why I think there may be a bit of substance to it.

Will be sad to see them go

Guest coffee cup

I too will be sad to see them go, whenever you see them appear from the motorway, you know you are home. It has the same feel, on the train back from Doncaster, once you see the twin towers, it's time to make sure you have all your bags ready to get of the train.

I do like the new design though

I would like to watch them be demolished though if they have to.

Although I will stand with the wind on my back as anyone who went to see the Norfolk Park flats go will tell you. There is nothing like walking up a muddy grass banking in a fog of concrete dust with most of it landing in your teeth to remind you to stand on the other side next time.

I think I like it. The design I mean, but if it is going to be stainless steel it is going to be very difficult to make dont you think. By the way talking of land marks where did the stainless bull go to?

Sue

Guest belfrybum

Its a travesty that all the do-gooders are destroying the country,especially from my view,sheffield!These towers present a fine example of sheffields history.Surely a major clean of the towers will cost less than the mentioned design.Why should most things to do with steel or "carbon polluting industries" from the past, that this city should be proud of,dissapear?

I am sure there is more people out there that feel the same!

Hi Fellow SH's

The last time they were going to be blown up i was up on Kimberworth with many others using camcorders and other recording equipment from 4am on a Sunday watching the police closing the motorway, Then it seems their was a birds nest spotted and it was all cancelled i don't think i will bother this time.

I wonder if they do build the design in Sue's post will the steel come from Sheffield or from Germany same as the Supertram ??

Guest coffee cup

I would like to watch them be demolished though if they have to.

Although I will stand with the wind on my back as anyone who went to see the Norfolk Park flats go will tell you. There is nothing like walking up a muddy grass banking in a fog of concrete dust with most of it landing in your teeth to remind you to stand on the other side next time.

I think I like it. The design I mean, but if it is going to be stainless steel it is going to be very difficult to make dont you think. By the way talking of land marks where did the stainless bull go to?

Sue

I would not like to watch them being demolished, I would find it rather sick to see something go that is part of Sheffield I would gain no satisfaction from watching them fall down to a bit of rubble. Although they are not very easy on the eye, it will be a great shame when they are gone.

I wonder if they do build the design in Sue's post will the steel come from Sheffield or from Germany same as the Supertram ??

They may even be constructed of Chineese steel just like that stupid wall out side the Midland Station!

In the thirteen years I've lived round here the City Elders have rebuilt that area about four or five times..I cant remeber a time when its been possible to drive round there for more than a month or two before they have started with more road works.

But getting back to the towers.....well I have a better idea than steel towers...

For years the residents of Tinsley have had to do battle with traffic to get into Meadowhall and it is taking its toll on the comunity. I therfore think its about time we did something to help the poor locals get to Meadowhall so they can dump their kiddies in the play area near Argos for the day. Also in doing this we could make their journey memorable by giving them some form of meeting place with some natural atractions

All of the above rubbish gets me to my proposal ladies and gentlemen....

Why not blow up the towers and utilising the resulting creator we could build a "below ground" area.

In it I would like to see toilets, maybe a little shop or two and a fish tank to entertain kiddies.

I cant think of a name for it ..something to describe it..a "hole" ...and it will be under "a road" .

You see this would also link in with other City council ideas.. wasting money our money.. like abandoning a tram system just to build another or rebuilding the frontage of the Midland Station ever three years!

Sorry, but the idea of knocking down an original structure to replace it with a contemporary version commerorating whats just been knocked down, is pretty stupid, uneccesarily expensive and rather unimaginative to say the least.

They are an original feature, striking, iconic, a real landmark, (look how much the angel of the north cost for an iconic landmark!! Weve already got ours!) and the fact you can drive by them so closely is great.

Leave the 'twin towers'. Renovate them. Repaint them. (Some countries have large colouful murals of various types painted on them - no not graffiti style either!) The lace effect idea of the proposed sculpture could even be painted on. Use the money saved from demolition and making of uneeded 'sculpture' to convert the interiors and ground around them for something even faintly and remotely useful, even if its only decorative. But leave them alone. Please.

Sorry, but the idea of knocking down an original structure to replace it with a contemporary version commerorating whats just been knocked down, is pretty stupid, uneccesarily expensive and rather unimaginative to say the least.

They are an original feature, striking, iconic, a real landmark, (look how much the angel of the north cost for an iconic landmark!! Weve already got ours!) and the fact you can drive by them so closely is great.

Leave the 'twin towers'. Renovate them. Repaint them. (Some countries have large colouful murals of various types painted on them - no not graffiti style either!) The lace effect idea of the proposed sculpture could even be painted on. Use the money saved from demolition and making of uneeded 'sculpture' to convert the interiors and ground around them for something even faintly and remotely useful, even if its only decorative. But leave them alone. Please.

Announced today, They're to be demolished.

Link to BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/6963752.stm

Sue

The Bull is safe and well on display outside the Magna Science Centre in Rotherham.

Announced today, They're to be demolished.

Link to BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/6963752.stm

Have just read the blah from Bob Kerslake on the BBC site linked to above.

Thousands of people had signed petitions to save the towers, which can be seen by motorists who use the M1.

Every time you see a polition on TV these days thier lastest buzzword is "we are listening and will learn from...blah blah"

Well why didnt anyone hear us all when we signed our petition to keep the towers?

But E.ON, the company that owns the towers, said they need to be demolished before the winter as they are unsafe.

They have been there 70 years problem free...are repairs out of the question?

The firm plans to build a new power station on the site........

Could this be the real reason?

E.ON said it would work with Sheffield City Council to create a large-scale, permanent piece of art that would "symbolise the importance of energy".

Corperate blah me thinks!

Designs will be put through a public consultation process in June 2008.

Yeah right. Why dont they just come out with it and say they will tell the public what they are getting instead of pretending we have some say in it.

He states that EON are giving....wait for it.....£500 000 to the plan to create a monument on the site.

and has pledged £500,000 towards a new piece of artwork to replace the "unique" towers.

So...whos going to pay the other 47million towards this steel tower?

It would be much better for the people of Sheffield if the council just came out and told us the Towers are coming down and thats that. Instead through the unique way our elected officals are funded this issue will drag on a year or two the we will have some Chineese tat foisted upon us at great expense to us.

It looks good though on council employees C.V's if they can show to other employers how they secured funding for a major art project and blah blah blah....

Its wrong that they are coming down but theres nowt we can do...they didnt listen and they dont care!!

Guest belfrybum

what is the point of any public procesess the council says it goes through.nothing the public says matters.Now they're are ripping MOST of the city centre up AGAIN to put this birmingham beehive in !

why don't they just stick to one idea that will work instead of chopping and changing with big costly ideas that get ripped up again!?

There are pieces of our history in our city that need our progress not rip up and start again!

Where has that big silver artwork gone from corner of wicker that was the pride of sheffields heritage?

What about sliproad from victoria hotel to parkway being filled in?

How long will the artwork last to replace the cooling towers?

Heres a juicy little rumor...

A source from the site has overheard that the drop may have to be delayed for quite some time as some large gas mains have been found on site.

The source, who must remain a secret said two drivers were talking and one of them said that he had heard that it would be the end of next year before they come down.

I noticed the BBC reported that the towers were "unsafe" according to EON. Strange how so many inconvenient, problem buildings are suddenly found to be in this condition.....or am I being just a little cynical?

Will there be lights ? Have we requested footage from the local BBC ? Can we have a "brick" from the wreckage before they put up an eyesore ? etc etc ....