Picture Sheffield website redesigned

History dude

Went to Picture Sheffield yesterday and noticed straight away that the website had been redesigned .

There are a few changes, you can ask for a licence now to use pictures. There's a zoom on the thumbnail pictures, which only works when you put the mouse over it.  Not really all the useful I thought. The actual Zoom images seems smaller than before, or maybe it's just the way the site now looks.

One fault I noticed is that when you set the results to 100, then access a picture, then return to the results I got a "document expired" message, which I never had before and then it went back to the defaults results setting and you had to start again. 

What do you think to the new site? Anyone spotted any other features?

Picture Sheffield

16 minutes ago, History dude said:

Went to Picture Sheffield yesterday and noticed straight away that the website had been redesigned .

There are a few changes, you can ask for a licence now to use pictures. There's a zoom on the thumbnail pictures, which only works when you put the mouse over it.  Not really all the useful I thought. The actual Zoom images seems smaller than before, or maybe it's just the way the site now looks.

One fault I noticed is that when you set the results to 100, then access a picture, then return to the results I got a "document expired" message, which I never had before and then it went back to the defaults results setting and you had to start again. 

What do you think to the new site? Anyone spotted any other features?

Picture Sheffield

In 1 word --rubbish.

• Like 1

I suggest everyone should email them, I’ve already done it, there’s to much navigation required, they have around 200 of my photos and I want people to get them easily.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

There are a few new features on the Picture Sheffield site:

• It works best in Chrome, Edge or Firefox (Explorer is no longer being developed by Microsoft).
  • We’ve improved the zoom facility on the maps - you can zoom in much more than before by clicking on the zoom button (rather than hovering with the mouse - though that feature does remain if you want to use it). 
  • The advanced search facility is now hopefully easier - on the old site you had to type really slowly while the system looked for a pre-existing search term.  You can now type in a search term without having to wait.
  • It's now easier to use the site on your smart phone as well as on a PC, laptop or tablet.
  • You can now order digital images (before you could only order paper prints).

We’ve produced a short YouTube video Hints and tips on using Picture Sheffield - simple searching, advanced searching, how to narrow down your search results, how to zoom in on maps, and how to use the album feature to save images you are interested in.

Pete Evans

City Archives and Local Studies Manager

On 06/08/2021 at 19:18, History dude said:

Thanks for the comment - I'll pass this to the site developers to see if they can fix this.

52 minutes ago, Kishinev93 said:

Hi everyone,

• It works best in Chrome, Edge or Firefox (Explorer is no longer being developed by Microsoft).
  • We’ve improved the zoom facility on the maps - you can zoom in much more than before by clicking on the zoom button (rather than hovering with the mouse - though that feature does remain if you want to use it). 
  • The advanced search facility is now hopefully easier - on the old site you had to type really slowly while the system looked for a pre-existing search term.  You can now type in a search term without having to wait.
  • It's now easier to use the site on your smart phone as well as on a PC, laptop or tablet.

We’ve produced a short YouTube video Hints and tips on using Picture Sheffield - simple searching, advanced searching, how to narrow down your search results, how to zoom in on maps, and how to use the album feature to save images you are interested in.

Pete Evans

I don't really want hints a tips, I was quite happy as it was.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kishinev93 said:

Thanks for the comment - I'll pass this to the site developers to see if they can fix this.

A quick update - we aren't getting this fault - may I ask which browser are you using?  Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Kishinev93 said:

A quick update - we aren't getting this fault - may I ask which browser are you using?  Thanks. 

Firefox. It was on one of the set features - Aerial photos I think.

3 hours ago, History dude said:

Firefox. It was on one of the set features - Aerial photos I think.

Thanks - we’ve checked the popular themes (in Firefox and Chrome) - listing 100 images and using the ‘back to results’ and ‘next’ and ‘previous’ buttons - all seems to be working fine.  Let me know if you are still having issues and we can investigate further.

It happened when I zoomed one of the images then clicked back to the results when I got the message.  Incidentally are the zoom images smaller than before? 

14 hours ago, History dude said:

It happened when I zoomed one of the images then clicked back to the results when I got the message.  Incidentally are the zoom images smaller than before? 

Ok - we’ll take another look at that for you.

The image sizes weren’t changed during the upgrade.  I’ve checked an example (Zoomed image) and the zoom is the same as before;  we have improved the zoom facility for maps so you can now zoom right in to view them in much more detail.    

1 hour ago, Kishinev93 said:

Ok - we’ll take another look at that for you.

The image sizes weren’t changed during the upgrade.  I’ve checked an example (Zoomed image) and the zoom is the same as before;  we have improved the zoom facility for maps so you can now zoom right in to view them in much more detail.    

Great news about the maps. With the images covering a larger area than standard pictures of people and buildings that is a vast improvement. You might want to look into doing the same with some of the long distance air photos, it's really hard to make anything out with them. 

Have you thought about doing a collaboration with the Britain From Above people? The have some really great air photos of Sheffield. If they are willing they might allow some close up pictures to display. And you could share the air photo's you have with them. Just a thought! 

On 09/08/2021 at 20:38, Kishinev93 said:

Hi everyone,

Pete Evans

The search function doesn't work unless I click through to "New Search". This is using Windows 10 and Chrome.

I've also noticed I often get 1 match, but nothing is displayed.

On 11/08/2021 at 11:43, History dude said:

Great news about the maps. With the images covering a larger area than standard pictures of people and buildings that is a vast improvement. You might want to look into doing the same with some of the long distance air photos, it's really hard to make anything out with them. 

Have you thought about doing a collaboration with the Britain From Above people? The have some really great air photos of Sheffield. If they are willing they might allow some close up pictures to display. And you could share the air photo's you have with them. Just a thought! 

Many thanks for your comments.  Yes, we’ll be adjusting the aerial photographs so you will soon be able to zoom in in more detail and also rotate them. 

There are some great images on Britain from Above. We do have a number of their images on Picture Sheffield; in addition, we still have quite few aerial shots waiting to be digitised … hopefully we’ll be able to upload them to Picture Sheffield in the not too distant future.

On 12/08/2021 at 13:24, Alastair said:

The search function doesn't work unless I click through to "New Search". This is using Windows 10 and Chrome.

I've also noticed I often get 1 match, but nothing is displayed.

Hi there ... if you'd like to email archives@sheffield.gov.uk along with a screen shot where the image isn’t displaying (or email us the picture reference number) we can take a look at that for you. 

It seems the search is now case sensitive. I was searching for Broadlane in response to the thread on this site. No results - so I tried Broad lane - no results. Then tried "Broad" - loads of results including mentions of Broad Lane. Then put Broad Lane in and it narrowed down to the results!

On 20/08/2021 at 20:08, History dude said:

It seems the search is now case sensitive. I was searching for Broadlane in response to the thread on this site. No results - so I tried Broad lane - no results. Then tried "Broad" - loads of results including mentions of Broad Lane. Then put Broad Lane in and it narrowed down to the results!

The search option has never been great in Picture Sheffield and the best way to search it remains via google.

Do a google image search of the place name plus picturesheffield (as one word)

For instance "broad lane picturesheffield" gives this - https://www.google.com/search?q=broad+lane+picturesheffield&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwihp6TIssTyAhWjgM4BHVrBAqUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=broad+lane+picturesheffield&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1CjQFijQGCNRGgAcAB4AIABRYgBRZIBATGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=bCMiYaHBKaOBur4P2oKLqAo&bih=587&biw=1280&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB801GB801

On 20/08/2021 at 20:08, History dude said:

Hi there, we’ve fixed the case sensitive search.  If you search for Broad Lane (or broad lane) in the simple search you get 165 returns.

3 hours ago, Kishinev93 said:

Hi there, we’ve fixed the case sensitive search.  If you search for Broad Lane (or broad lane) in the simple search you get 165 returns.

Great! I checked out the map zoom and that is really good. Well you be uploading more OS maps? I liked to see more recent ones, that are just out of the copyright issue. I'm in need of the Victoria Station area and Nunnery maps from the middle 1960's.

PS let us know when the Aerial photo zoom has been upgraded as you said it would.

On 23/08/2021 at 15:56, History dude said:

Great! I checked out the map zoom and that is really good. Well you be uploading more OS maps? I liked to see more recent ones, that are just out of the copyright issue. I'm in need of the Victoria Station area and Nunnery maps from the middle 1960's.

PS let us know when the Aerial photo zoom has been upgraded as you said it would.

Hi there.  Sure.  We’ll be processing the zoomable aerial photos over the next few weeks.

In terms of OS maps – we have lots more to add to Picture Sheffield.  The first batches will be the very detailed  1:500 scale from 1888 – 1904.  There are 301 digitised sheets to upload and index.

We don’t have the other scales or later dates in digital form yet – so they may take us quite a long time to get those up on Picture Sheffield (we don’t have our own facilities for scanning large sheets on the premises so we have to send theme off-site) … but, yes, our ambition is to have all of the out-of-copyright maps online.