THE ABC CINEMA Sheffield

SteveHB
13 minutes ago, Poacher said:

Went to the ABC MINORS every Saturday morning for Flash Gordon (still have nightmares about the 'clay men') and cartoons and if it was your birthday you took your birthday card up on stage (can't remember what the reward was) I believe the adult in the pictures was Uncle Charlie?? My friend took an old battered birthday card up there for weeks.

They also sold individual badges with letters on them, if you had the whole set it spelled A B C M I N O R S.

hehe

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheffield History

• DaveH

• RichardB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the ABC MINORS every Saturday morning for Flash Gordon (still have nightmares about the 'clay men') and cartoons and if it was your birthday you took your birthday card up on stage (can't reme

It certainly is. The three windows on the left were sometimes decorated to illustrate a film. I heard that at the time of "Where Eagles Dare" there were models of cable cars there. Further down y

Posted Images

Sheffield History

925305659_Screenshot2020-05-30at17_45_26.thumb.jpg.9e0fe4be35d2611c8199d9fd7018c15d.jpg

1229628110_Screenshot2020-05-30at17_44_46.thumb.jpg.dec4c871dfc94ddcfb363f5d7951201c.jpg

Is this the famous corridor on Angel Street everyone used to queue up in before films at the ABC Cinema?

Hopman

It certainly is. The three windows on the left were sometimes decorated to illustrate a film. I heard that at the time of "Where Eagles Dare" there were models of cable cars there.

Further down you can see two lights over the exits. The first was used as the Minors' entrance on a Saturday morning, and the exit from Screen 2. You can just make out the two illuminated poster boxes on the left. Across the road there is a bus waiting, sorry but I can't give any more details about the bus or its driver.

• Thanks 1
Sheffield History
1 hour ago, Hopman said:

It certainly is. The three windows on the left were sometimes decorated to illustrate a film. I heard that at the time of "Where Eagles Dare" there were models of cable cars there.

Further down you can see two lights over the exits. The first was used as the Minors' entrance on a Saturday morning, and the exit from Screen 2. You can just make out the two illuminated poster boxes on the left. Across the road there is a bus waiting, sorry but I can't give any more details about the bus or its driver.

Ah yes! Now I see the exits under the lights! Would never have noticed those!

Thank you my friend!

Crying shame about the loss of this beautiful theatre. The asset strippers who bought and then demolished it should be horse-whipped!

967735804_3326117066_c81505385e_b(2).jpg.ab9a747b42aaa43f4a8111d916ca0448.jpg