THE ABC CINEMA Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest funkydory

....The Stud was in '78 - followed by The ***** '79 .........i only know cos i bought the brilliant soundtrack LP's .....honest !

....which i have still got !!!!

Sorry don't have a Sheffield ABC logo to go with it!

EARTHQUAKE IN S E N S U R O U N D

So when this film was shown at the ABC (Year? Dates?) was the ABC equipped with suitable equipment to shake the place to bits?

If so, how did that work?

How many other films were made in Sensuround?

Was the initial outlay on the Sensuround equipment worth it for the sake of a limited number of films made using it?

Guest abcman

So when this film was shown at the ABC (Year? Dates?) was the ABC equipped with suitable equipment to shake the place to bits?

If so, how did that work?

How many other films were made in Sensuround?

Was the initial outlay on the Sensuround equipment worth it for the sake of a limited number of films made using it?

'EARTHQUAKE' in 70mm SENSUROUND was shown at the ABC Sheffield in 1974 (sorry can't remember exact dates). SENSUROUND was pioneered by the Universal Sound Department using a series of large speakers and a 1500 watt amplifier which gave sub-audible infra bass sound waves at 120 decibels causing an earthquake like sensation. These speakers were installed at the ABC for the showing of the film. Sensuround was also used in 'BATTLE OF MIDWAY', 'ROLLERCOASTER' (giving the effect of being on a big dipper) and 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA' then was heard of no more so obviously it was another of the cinema industries short lived gimmicks. But hey - 3D is back so you never know.

When 'Earthquake' was first shown at the ABC, the branch of Barclay's Bank which was in one of the cinema's shop units in Bank Street, reported all their coin money shaking in their tills & safes and literally thought the building was shaking. That shows how effective it worked.

'EARTHQUAKE' in 70mm SENSUROUND was shown at the ABC Sheffield in 1974 (sorry can't remember exact dates). SENSUROUND was pioneered by the Universal Sound Department using a series of large speakers and a 1500 watt amplifier which gave sub-audible infra bass sound waves at 120 decibels causing an earthquake like sensation. These speakers were installed at the ABC for the showing of the film. Sensuround was also used in 'BATTLE OF MIDWAY', 'ROLLERCOASTER' (giving the effect of being on a big dipper) and 'BATTLESTAR GALACTICA' then was heard of no more so obviously it was another of the cinema industries short lived gimmicks. But hey - 3D is back so you never know.

When 'Earthquake' was first shown at the ABC, the branch of Barclay's Bank which was in one of the cinema's shop units in Bank Street, reported all their coin money shaking in their tills & safes and literally thought the building was shaking. That shows how effective it worked.

How does 1500 watts compare to modern sound systems which sound loud - or is that just me getting old ? I've seen Motorhead, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple etc but I now much prefer silence and writing slowly with a soft pencil - have I finally become my Father ? :rolleyes:

Guest abcman

How does 1500 watts compare to modern sound systems which sound loud - or is that just me getting old ? I've seen Motorhead, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple etc but I now much prefer silence and writing slowly with a soft pencil - have I finally become my Father ? :rolleyes:

I think it was the extra bass sound that gave the sensation of the earthquake.Unfortunately I am not that up to date with current sound systems but I know what you mean about 'LOUD' and unfortunatley I think it is probably an age thing.(Sorry!)

I think it was the extra bass sound that gave the sensation of the earthquake.Unfortunately I am not that up to date with current sound systems but I know what you mean about 'LOUD' and unfortunatley I think it is probably an age thing.(Sorry!)

I think the important bit about that 1500W output isn't the sound as we know it be the sub audiable infra sound.

You can't HEAR this as sound but you can FEEL it

Normal hearing cuts out below about 20Hz (just like we can't hear ultrasound that bats and dogs can above a certain frequency there is also a lower limit.) so if the speakers produce a sound at lets say 8Hz you can't hear it, but you can feel it vibrate.

With 1.5kW behind it that would be a pretty strong vibration.

..and as many buildings and structures would start to resonate at these low frequencies they could quite literally shake a place to pieces :o

No need to apologise about the age thing; had my hair cut today (shaved let's be honest); he spend longer on my eyebrows and ears than he did on my head. Would you like any hair-gel he asked, Mr. Pledge more like it ... Wash my hair ?, bit of spit and polish !

You all have me running full pelt down memory lane :).

Star Wars is the first film I remember as definately seeing in the ABC, I wonder if the lasting impression of the opening sequence would have been so lasting on a smaller screen in a smaller venue, I still cant seem to replicate it even with a stupidly large screen and sound system in my living room

Guest abcman

You all have me running full pelt down memory lane :).

Star Wars is the first film I remember as definately seeing in the ABC, I wonder if the lasting impression of the opening sequence would have been so lasting on a smaller screen in a smaller venue, I still cant seem to replicate it even with a stupidly large screen and sound system in my living room

Sorry to say, Star Wars was shown at The Gaumont, not the ABC.

Sorry to say, Star Wars was shown at The Gaumont, not the ABC.

Read in a newspaper recently that they want to "remake" some of the Star Wars films in 3D to fit in with the latest craze for 3D

Admittedly the battle scene in the first Star Wars film lends itself perfectly to being viewed in 3D

It doesn't make it clear however if the film is to be completely remade from scratch (which would involve refilming it with new actors) or if there is some technological fiddle that can artificially create a 3D effect on a film which was originally filmed conventionally in 2D

Guest synthman

I recall going to see the Emanual rated 18 films with me mates. We were under age, and so embarassed. I remember going to get the tickets, and when the Lady said,''what film''. I'd be so embarrased, i'd ask to see another film.we must have ended up seeing 'Bambi' 15 times. When we actually saw the Emanual films, they were as saucy as an episode of the Tellytubbies.

A little more information courtesy of Wikopedia.

Sensurround involved the installation of up to ten large Cerwin-Vega subwoofer speakers in black-painted wood cabinets, which were placed beneath the screen and in the corners of the theatre. The sound system was driven by a separate control box attached to a 1,600 watt audio amplifier. When triggered by control tones on the film's optical soundtrack, the system generated an almost sub-audible rumble between 5 and 40 Hertz at sound pressures of 110-120 decibels, the results of which could be "felt" as well as heard. In the case of Earthquake, Sensurround was activated during the quake scenes to augment the conventional soundtrack.

I'm pretty sure that the ABC would have shown the 70mm version with magnetic soundtrack not the optical mentioned above. At such low frequencies there is a real danger of doing damage to the structure of a theatre, especially old suspended ceilings. As a comparison, a decent high-fi will produce down to around 20 hertz.

Yes I saw it there too! They put a warning notice up after somebody died whilst watching the film, in another part of the world, not at the ABC.

I have the film on DVD, and with a Home Theater System you can get a vibration effect with it by turning up the volume of the subwoofer. It's still present in the transfer! B)

Yes I saw it there too! They put a warning notice up after somebody died whilst watching the film, in another part of the world, not at the ABC.

I have the film on DVD, and with a Home Theater System you can get a vibration effect with it by turning up the volume of the subwoofer. It's still present in the transfer! B)

I too saw "Earthquake" at the ABC, in Sensurround and it really did work ....adding a whole new dimension to the movie. Watching the movie on TV today though, it looks as dated as most things from the 70's do !

The other two Sensurround movies were also shown at our ABC.

Firstly - "Rollercoaster", which worked very well. You really did feel as if you were on those (doomed) rides.

Secondly - "Midway" , which didn't work, because all we had were booming guns on battleships. Sensurround added nothing to the experience.

A couple of empty seats where really shaking during it. When it stopped there was a big sigh of relief from the audince :mellow:

Also saw Jaws the first time there! I knew it was coming the head scene, being told by someone who had seen it, where it gives Hooper a shock, but it still gave me a shock and I banged my knee on the back of the seat in front :blink:

They also had a special showing of the first 3 Star Trek movies, we enjoyed them, but all anybody was saying was about their sore bums when we left! Cinema seats who ever designed them wasn't a cinema goer :(

I also remember a logo on the front of the movies shown there, never seen it since though. It was CIC standing for Cinema International Corporation. Was it something to do with just the ABC, or if not what was it?

You would probably have to spend a lot of money on a projector screen system and THX certified audio to get close to it. But even if you did it's not that good a movie to merit the expense of doing it ;-)

A couple of empty seats where really shaking during it. When it stopped there was a big sigh of relief from the audince :mellow:

Also saw Jaws the first time there! I knew it was coming the head scene, being told by someone who had seen it, where it gives Hooper a shock, but it still gave me a shock and I banged my knee on the back of the seat in front :blink:

They also had a special showing of the first 3 Star Trek movies, we enjoyed them, but all anybody was saying was about their sore bums when we left! Cinema seats who ever designed them wasn't a cinema goer :(

I also remember a logo on the front of the movies shown there, never seen it since though. It was CIC standing for Cinema International Corporation. Was it something to do with just the ABC, or if not what was it?

CIC was a distribution company set up by Paramount and Universal in 1970, to distribute their movies outside the USA. ( It was something to do with the Anti-Trust laws ? )

MGM also joined this outfit in 1973.

When MGM bought out United Artists in 1981, there was a fall-out with the parent company as UA already had it's own distribution unit.

CIC was therefore re-organised and became UIP ( United International Pictures ) .

As ABC was the main exhibitor of Paramount, Universal and MGM's movies in this country, that is why you saw the CIC logo so often back then.

Guest CJax kid

The ABC was the cinema of choice amongst my group of friends. If it was a Sci-Fi film the screen size in the main auditorium really did any visual effects packed film justice. Went to see James camerons Aliens there in 1986 and the big screen really did give scale to the action. Seem to remember reading an article in the Sheffield Star that Screen 1 boasted one of the largest screens in europe. Dont know if that was true but when those curtains pulled back the size was something to behold..always impressed me. I was saddened to see it demolished and I think the demise of some of the city centre cinemas was brought about by the out of town multiplexes like the one at crystal peaks which in turn went down the pan its self....as others have said..the worst part about the ABC was the outside cue in the urinal..Romeos and Juliets turning out in the early hours was one reason for that..as you walked up angel street the stream that emerged from that passage way and ran over the pavement was someting to avoid!!

Newly arrived here and this thread has brought back many memories and cinema legends.

ABC1 screen was 69 foot across at its maximum and watching a70mm presentation was certainly a memorable sight.

I can only speak of the 1979-1983 period. In those days there was the cinema duopoly whereby each new film was either sent to the Gaumont or to the ABC. In some places (for example Grimsby) there was only one cinema so this handled all output. For example "The Empire Strikes Back" was mostly a Rank film, but in Grimsby it was shown at the ABC.

"Xanadu" was slated for showing at the ABC in Sheffield, but this never happened and it was shown at the Classic instead.

Someone mentioned "Gone With the Wind". I recall that at one non Sheffield cinema there was an accident and the film ended prematurely.

Easter 1981 saw an unusual event in ABC1. More tickets were sold than there were seats. this was for Superman 2.

Grear picture of Angel street as it was, with cockaynes to the left.

Taken in 1968 but still showing a film made around 30 years earlier, - "Gone With The Wind", what a classic!

The only time I saw "Gone With The Wind"at a Sheffield Cinema was at The Hippodrome Cambridge Street. W/E.

Easter 1981 saw an unusual event in ABC1. More tickets were sold than there were seats. this was for Superman 2.

I wonder why?

I was once taking a school assembly and had to read out the notices

One of the notices was

"The film to be shown by the school film club on thursday this week is Superman 2"

But this was written on the sheet I was reading from as

The film to be shown by the school film club on thursday this week is "Superman II"

using a Roman numeral for the 2 and with the title for some reason in inverted commas.

Unfortunately the leading inverted comma was missing so that it looked like this

The film to be shown by the school film club on thursday this week is Superman II"

Which I read straight from the sheet, in front of an audience of about 300 teenagers as

"The film to be shown by the school film club on thursday this week is Superman 11 inches"

Which got the typical and predicted reaction from a load of teenagers, made me look a right pillock and left me with some explaining to do to the head of year.

However, the turn out at the school film club that week was the highest it had ever been.

I noticed in the first post you referenced my old www.rocknroll webspace for those pictures.

The site is now at http://thewookie.co....emas/gone3.html

I had to move from my original web space because at one time it went over my bandwidth limit and they blocked it, so I moved to a dedicated heavy duty provider instead..

Link amended in opening post