South Yorkshire Transport Trust Open Day

Guest sheffbusman

Guest sheffbusman

Hello, I am a director of SYTT, we are a bus preservation group that houses over 70 vehicles in an old steel works in Kimberworth, Rotherham. We have many buses of local origin including Dennis Dominators, Daimler Fleetlines, Leyland Atlanteans, AEC Regents (open top) and many more. We are organising an open day to show off our collection on Sunday October 21st 2007 There will be stalls, refreshments, and preserved vehicles running to Meadowhall and Rotherham for you to ride on. Many of the vehicles in our facility have not been seen for many years, so will be of particular interest to the local enthusiast.

I hope you can all come down to what will be an historical event.

Check out www.sytt.co.uk for more info

388.bmp

One of the buses in our building is Volvo Ailsa 388 LWB388P

Put me down for a visit!!

I first saw details of your place on another site where we were discussing the passing of the Dominator. Someone said they had seen a few parked up near an old factory in Rotherham. My son and I had a ride up there the same night to take a peek and took a few shots. We had a quick ride round the side a thought about poping in to ask about open days and stuff but thought we were intruding.

Someone on the other site was going to try and see if they could organize a trip but it never came about...I was gutted!

One of yours?

Guest sheffbusman

Yes, that's my baby, I'm responsible for painting it out of those horrible corperate colours back into something we all know and loved!!! That's me in the drivers seat in the hi-viz vest

That is one amazing paint job by the way.

At the rally that day there were two vehicles that stood out because of the finish on thier paint one was the AEC Plaxton coach (Glenton tours?)with the mid enterance door lay out and the other was yours.

Getting back to the Dominator.....

I heard from someone at OG that it has had most of the seats removed and there was this cracking tale that it had something to do with making it a eight seater for licence reasons...is that right? or have I got the wrong end of the stick??

Guest sheffbusman

Yes, as it now only has 8 seats, it is classed as a PLG vehicle and can be driven on a car license and is cheaper on tax too, if you can call £180.00 a year cheap!!!

Guest sheffbusman

Just a quick reminder that the open day at the South Yorkshire Transport Trust is coming up this sunday, from 11am -4pm at Ivanhoe works, Kimberworth road Rotherham, free buses will be running from stand A5 at Meadowhall and C3/C4 at Rotherham Interchange from 10:30am. There will be refreshments, some transport related stalls and many vehicles to see.

Was just reading this months magazine and saw the write up they did about your place..a cracking size spread!

Anyhoo the Dominator that stood out for me was 2249 (30414) SDT 249Y.

Not long before First got rid of them my son and I went for a ride round town, intending to hop on and off as many Dominators as we could find, which in the end was one!...SDT 249Y.

When it got to the terminus at Totley I asked the driver if he minded me taking a few shots and this is what we got. Thought they might be of interest to the owner photographed in the mag......

Most will think that the shots are a load of old rubbish but more than one person has said..ooh I rember going on those funny things!

When is the next open day planned?

I was looking forward to this weekend but I have a very inconsiderate brother who has decieded to be 21 this week end and therfore I'm off to Durham to join in the bun fight that celebrates his 21'ness.

Me and my camera would much rarther be shooting buses this weekend, as much as I love him!!

Guest sheffbusman

When is the next open day planned?

I was looking forward to this weekend but I have a very inconsiderate brother who has decieded to be 21 this week end and therfore I'm off to Durham to join in the bun fight that celebrates his 21'ness.

Me and my camera would much rarther be shooting buses this weekend, as much as I love him!!

There will be another open day in the early stages of the season Next year, Maybe April time? I will post information as and when we have decided the dates

Guest transit

So how did it go then...and has anyone got any shots?

I went to the Open Day last Sunday and would like to thank all involved for a brilliant day! Where can i start? - As being interested in the local history of public transport , i have visited many local rallys and museums ect, but this place was something different. Situated in an old steelworks, just above the main Rotherham bus depot or just up past RUFC football ground ,it was easy to find with several old Sheffield buses outside doing free tours to Meadowhall and back (a choice of at least four to choose from!) On entering through the gates it was just like a trip back in time - it was wall-to-wall full of old buses , mostly local, which most people would have never imagined seeing again ,each seemingly awaiting their turn to be restored back to former glory. The memories came flooding back at nearly each bus i saw , and loads of stories were overheard as ex bus drivers re met for the first time in years ,talking about a particular bus they used to drive etc. After walking round the yard , you eventually get to the large "workshop" where all the graft takes place! Again it was jaw-dropping as you enter the building as you find about another dozen vehicles in various stages of rebuilds showing the amount of work and tireless dedication involved to bring the buses back to life once again. There was also model displays , trade stands , and refreshments ect , and a sunny October day ! It was a day like no other - i felt like a kid in a sweetshop (again!) and would liken it to opening a door on a derelict barn and finding a Rolls-Royce there covered in dust , untouched and waiting to be re-born, but x40 ! Looking at all the smiling , happy faces that i saw , i think they all seemed to think the same - that they have found some secret "sleeping beauties!" Once again i would like to thank all involved for making it such a great day - and cant wait for the next (around Spring?) Miss it - Miss out ! ---------- can i just say , i am not a member of the above , just an interested person who appreciates the superb dedication and effort these guys down there are doing to preserve our local transport history .

Guest sheffbusman

Hi, thanks for all the nice comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the day, I hope everyone that came enjoyed it as much? Alot of work went into it, we started at 05:00 saturday morning and left the site at 23 45 on sunday night, absolutely cream crackered!!! I took the picture below just as the sun was coming up on sunday morning, hence the frosty looking buses :rolleyes:

Any idea when the next "open day" will be?

Open days for 2008 11th May, 25th May, 8th June, 13th July, 10th August, 24th August, 12th October, 8th November and 14th December

South Yorkshire Transport Museum

Will go on the 11th May, are we all going? Meet you there? ;-)

Sue

Guest transit

Open days for 2008 11th May, 25th May, 8th June, 13th July, 10th August, 24th August, 12th October, 8th November and 14th December

South Yorkshire Transport Museum

Will go on the 11th May, are we all going? Meet you there? ;-)

Sue

The above dates are for the "South Yorkshire Transport Museum" at Aldwalk in Rotherham. The open day info i was asking for was for the "South Yorkshire Transport Trust" who are at Ivanhoe Works, at Kimberworth ,Rotherham. They are two separate organisations run by different people. I went to their "first "open day last October and can thoroughly recommend a visit if you get the chance ,if you are interested in Sheffield buses of the past .(see my previous post)

The above dates are for the "South Yorkshire Transport Museum" at Aldwalk in Rotherham. The open day info i was asking for was for the "South Yorkshire Transport Trust" who are at Ivanhoe Works, at Kimberworth ,Rotherham. They are two separate organisations run by different people. I went to their "first "open day last October and can thoroughly recommend a visit if you get the chance ,if you are interested in Sheffield buses of the past .(see my previous post)

Ooh soz thought it was part of the same thing.

See link South Yorkshire Transport Trust

Sue :blink:

Guest bus man

The date as not been fixed yet for the SYTT open day it may be sometime in August. The second it is fixed it will be placed on the main website and also on here so every one knows when it is.

Glad people enjoyed the first one

Guest transit

The date as not been fixed yet for the SYTT open day it may be sometime in August. The second it is fixed it will be placed on the main website and also on here so every one knows when it is.

Thanks for that - already looking forword to it - shame it is only open around once a year, as i think this orgnisation is the most productive local bus preservationist!

Guest bus man

One date which was missed from the above 14th September is sheffield transport rally at Meadowhall

Guest transit

One date which was missed from the above 14th September is sheffield transport rally at Meadowhall

Wonder if it will be with or without the cooling towers in the background?? :unsure:

Guest bus man

Yes well last year was funny as all the people who had been spending years trying to avoid getting the towers in the background were doing so delibratly in 2007 as it was the last year they would be there we will have to wait and see.

Just out of interest there is another rally in the area that is Chatsworth Bus Gathering Sunday June 22nd 2008 at Chatsworth with some vintage services around the area

See Link below for full details:

http://www.geocities.com/123_group/chatsworth_2008.htm

Guest transit

Here are some pics from the first open day ,showing how these sleeping beautys of Sheffields past are slowly being brought back to life .....

Guest gareth388

Hi. I'm one of the Directors of the SYTT.

Since the October Open Day lots has been going on at the SYTT. Lots of work has been going into our 'sleeping beautys', but unfortunetly some of the local youths seem intent on doing as much damage as possible to a number of vehicles.

Dominators 2111, 2457, and 2489 in particular have been hit badly with mindless vandalism. The attached pictures are of 2489.

:angry: It is very sad indeed that this has occured, and coupled with the fact that we have also had all the fuel stolen out of the vehicles parked in the back yard, this has done nothing for our morale, but, as they say, we pick ourselves up, and we have to move on.

look out for a major announcment in the near future about the long term plans of the Trust. he he

Guest gareth388

As most of you will have read or been told, the SYTT is relocating to Sheffield, and has taken a new lease on Bays 3 and 4 of the Tinsley Tram Sheds. he he

We will be relocating over the next 2 months, with the aim of completing the move by the end of July. The entire collection will now be undercover.

We are currently carrying out remedial work to both bays, which includes cleaning out the vehicle inspection pits.

There will be an announcement regarding our Open Days shortly after the end of July, when we have settled down into our 'new' home.

In the meantime, any enquiries about private tours or enthusiast tours should be directed to sytt@hotmail.co.uk