Cutlers Stone

tozzin

Seems during the demolition of the shell of an old cutlery firm on Cambridge Street, the people responsible have lost, mislaid or just stolen the Cutlers Company Coat of Arms that sat over the doorway, I contacted English Heritage around ten years ago and they assured me that it would be removed at the proper time and would be taken to Kelham Island Museum BUT a Sheffield Star reporter has been trying to trace this old coat of arms and surprise, surprise the Museum Trusts don’t know where it is.

Anybody on the forum have any idea where it’s disappeared to? The drawing from the 18th or 19th century shows it quite clearly.

FD115EF8-69AA-4162-9DE5-55D0176F9048.jpeg

23A1B95E-B550-4A4C-9DBC-C4F86A5E704F.jpeg

What a disgrace this is but, unfortunately, this is the usual way of our authorities and we, in Sheffield are particularly prone to important pieces of our history disappearing.

On behalf of all who care about this, may I thank you for the efforts you made to safeguard it and I sympathise with your resulting disappointment.

I might add that it's the first time I knew that there was a largish chapel on Cambridge Street.

6 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

What a disgrace this is but, unfortunately, this is the usual way of our authorities and we, in Sheffield are particularly prone to important pieces of our history disappearing.

On behalf of all who care about this, may I thank you for the efforts you made to safeguard it and I sympathise with your resulting disappointment.

I might add that it's the first time I knew that there was a largish chapel on Cambridge Street.

It’s frontage was removed sometime ago but it was last used by the shop “ Stone The Crows”, I do have a couple of photos of the faded name of the Chapel, I’ll post them later.

Here's the name of the the Primitive Chapel on Cambridge Street, I was wrong by saying the frontage was removed as you can see the frontage was built out to Cambridge Street, the owner or manager of Stone the Crows did tell a few years ago that it was all due for demolition and since i have not been on Cambridge Street because usually the Improvements truly let me down, so i cant say if the old chapel is still standing or not.

Primitive Methodist Chapel.jpg

Primitive Methodist Chapel 1.jpg

Primitive Methodist Chapel Cambridge Street.jpg

I now realise that the former chapel was later George Bins and then Coles brothers.

I used to go in quite a lot when Coles moved their Sports Department into there in the 80's or thereabouts but never knew that it had once been a chapel.

I also rarely go down town these days as I am afraid that everything I know will be gone completely in the name of progress ( progress???).

I went to take a look yesterday. The building that the plaque was on has indeed been demolished. The Chapel/Cole Brothers building has been gutted but looks like the frontage may remain? No sign of the plaque...

20210624_094000.jpg

I had a stroll along Pinstone Street today, hoardings up nearly full length of the road, god knows what’s happening there now. I do realise Mr Hitler had it in for us but I’m sick of seeing constant work in progress everywhere, never a month goes by without some scheme or other is rolled out, now if the city centre was on a carousel type foundation it could revolve so every point of the compass could at least have a share of of the very few decent spots.

I've had the following reply to my concerns via a Councillor and the Joined Up Heritage group;

"The stone has been carefully removed and taken into safe storage. It will be re-instated as part of the Heart of the City works. The precise details of it’s new location are under discussion."

45 minutes ago, Calvin72 said:

I've had the following reply to my concerns via a Councillor and the Joined Up Heritage group;

"The stone has been carefully removed and taken into safe storage. It will be re-instated as part of the Heart of the City works. The precise details of it’s new location are under discussion."

They told the very same story to Julia Edwards at the Star but they said they couldn't exactly find it, Julia was going to write a story about it but because of the failure to locate it, is now on hold.