News Theatre

HallamLad42

The News Theatre in FitzAllan Square was where my mum would take me in the late 40s early 50s, not for news but for cartoons. Indeed, I first saw the Disney film Bambi there, and cried when Babi's mum got shot. It was a wonderful experience, far removed from when I first walked, tottered perhaps, into the square just after the war and saw the evidence remaining of the Sheffield bombings, the still scorched fascia of the buildings on High Street, on the site of what I see from Google Earth was or is The Easy Hotel. Was this Brightside & Carbrook Coop? I can't remember, but at the age of no more than five or six I took on board an image that remains with me today. Looking at the 'blitz' photo below, it is impossible to imagine, almost, bombs falling on a city I grew to love and live in and around for 40 years. Had my first kiss in a little street I think was enveloped by the wretched Hold In The Road, what a monstrosity! Last picture, Cole's Corner, the location of hundreds and hundreds of dates, first meeting, family gatherings, for everyone knew what to do if you said, "Meet you on Cole's Corner" They moved on up town and look where that got them. My Monday treat picked up from Woodhouse Grammar School as a young lad was to have tea, plaice and chips, in Cole's Restaurant, treading the creaky floorboards, smiled at by the same friendly waitress every week.

News Theatre.png

Sheffield burns 1941.png

Coles Corner.jpeg

Hello, My Grandfather was a commissionaire on the door of the News theatre, He looked very smart in his gold braided uniform, although I never went in.

With a Dad away in the RAF my great uncle would often take me into Town on a Saturday for a haircut in Lew Burgins and then to a cinema ….often the News Theatre….which I recall was quite small by comparison with my local suburban cinemas.