Woodhouse Grammar School

HallamLad42

Although Woodhouse Grammar School, which I attended, was a West Riding establishment, it assed into Sheffield's ever open arms at some stage, eventually to be demolished, not so very long  after I left (or possibly because I left) in 1961/62. I came from Kiveton, and there were many pupils from the surrounding (West Riding) vvillages, but we also had an intake from the city. I had friends from the Handsworth area, most of whom left at the end of their Fifth year, among them Terry Elliott and Peter Morley. I wonder if any cty old-Woodhovians still kicking round.

woodhouse_grammar_1956.jpg

WGS 2.jpg

wgs sixth form.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

My word they must have been forever washing the tablecloths, or Woodhouse Grammar School werent messy eaters. 😂

Or, tables set for the photograph, makes it look posh.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 17:44, HallamLad42 said:

Although Woodhouse Grammar School, which I attended, was a West Riding establishment, it assed into Sheffield's ever open arms at some stage, eventually to be demolished, not so very long  after I left (or possibly because I left) in 1961/62. I came from Kiveton, and there were many pupils from the surrounding (West Riding) vvillages, but we also had an intake from the city. I had friends from the Handsworth area, most of whom left at the end of their Fifth year, among them Terry Elliott and Peter Morley. I wonder if any cty old-Woodhovians still kicking round.

woodhouse_grammar_1956.jpg

That's my Dad third from the right on the front row John Atherton, known as Jack to his friends, though apparently WGS pupils nicknamed him "Charlie". He was Head of English from about 1950 until summer 1962, when he left to take a up the deputy headship of a grammar school in Leicestershire. He passed away in 2004, and I remember Miss Jessie Baston attending his funeral to represent WGS. That may be her to the left of bossman Frank Pinion.

I'd guesstimate the date as 1960. Pete Horton, who went on to be Lord Mayor of Sheffield, is probably in the photo but I can't pick him out. Possibly third from left, back row.

Can anyone fill in any more staffv names? I think that may be "Bink" Barker fourth from left on the front row. Other names I remember, from Dad talking about them and/or from meeting them, are Harry Beynon, Mac Wynn, Mrs.(Marjorie?) Mallender, Betty Blacker and Mac Rotherham. I also remember a crafts master who drove a sports car which he'd built from a kit, but his name escapes me: Jim somebody, perhaps. I'm pretty sue there was a Mr. Guy and a Mr. Fawkes too: Dad reckoned that he was the first notice this potentially explosive combination, but I have my doubts.