Tinsley Station Goods Shed

Paolo Coopio

It was brilliant having a look around inside this old shed near Tinsley.

I did read that it was home to the Tinsley Banker. However it would now appear that may have been stabled up at Darnall.

A great piece of old railway history still accessible today.

2 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

I never knew there was such a "beast". Any idea as to when it stopped operating???

That seems to be unclear. 

Have to assume in the 50s when the station closed? But I suppose even after that they would still need one. 

It may have had a place in the late C19 when it was built and there was little other development in the surrounding area. However, as the huge leviathans of the steelworks sprung up around (Easr Hecla, Imperial, etc.) it was probably squeezed out into disuse, given you can see how tiny it is by the attached maps?

link to old maps below, where you can see it over the years…

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/439500/390500/13/101329

I’m assuming this is he one, which you can get to by clambering up the canal bank, opposite American Golf?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsley_railway_station

not to be confused with the pump house that borders the canal, between Sheffield road and Tinsley viaduct.

0717A781-3EF6-464E-9E0F-43E16E0B90CD.jpeg

BFFCD8AD-BA6B-4EE9-8DCA-E4812F148935.jpeg

0BB02845-F3A4-46D4-8193-58B8C7EC14E1.jpeg

DF8151F0-0D4A-4360-88AF-DEB73DFA3E37.jpeg

As I have said in another topic I started my working life down there in 1959. I recall the canal pump house and the disused goods warehouse. I retained a schoolboy interest in railways but never came across any banking engines....certainly not on the old M Sand L  main line. I wonder if it was used in shunting wagons into steelworks yards or maybe on a connecting line???

8 hours ago, RLongden said:

It may have had a place in the late C19 when it was built and there was little other development in the surrounding area. However, as the huge leviathans of the steelworks sprung up around (Easr Hecla, Imperial, etc.) it was probably squeezed out into disuse, given you can see how tiny it is by the attached maps?

link to old maps below, where you can see it over the years…

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/439500/390500/13/101329

I’m assuming this is he one, which you can get to by clambering up the canal bank, opposite American Golf?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsley_railway_station

not to be confused with the pump house that borders the canal, between Sheffield road and Tinsley viaduct.

0717A781-3EF6-464E-9E0F-43E16E0B90CD.jpeg

BFFCD8AD-BA6B-4EE9-8DCA-E4812F148935.jpeg

0BB02845-F3A4-46D4-8193-58B8C7EC14E1.jpeg

DF8151F0-0D4A-4360-88AF-DEB73DFA3E37.jpeg

Suprisingly easy to get over to from the canal. Just by the pipes over the canal in the last map image. Quite a well worn path.

Wrt the pump house further up. I've seen several people say this was part of the Tinsley Station. However it seems in the wrong place for me. More just a pump house that anything railway related.

Just out of shot south of the maps is another little brick building too. Difficult to make out what that was, possibly an engine room or plant room or something.

4 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

As I have said in another topic I started my working life down there in 1959. I recall the canal pump house and the disused goods warehouse. I retained a schoolboy interest in railways but never came across any banking engines....certainly not on the old M Sand L  main line. I wonder if it was used in shunting wagons into steelworks yards or maybe on a connecting line???

Interestingly since I posted this, I've had a few people contact me with some experiences of the goods shed and banking engine.

Over time there was a B1 and J39 that banked trains up towards the Woodburn triangle and on to Darnall. I didnt realise it was that much of an incline. There were bankers too at Darnall at some point that banked trains towards Kiveton way and also out towards Woodhead. It would appear over time there were bankers/locos that switched between the two Tinsley and Darnall sheds.

Also a possibility that since the Tinsley sheds closure, the old goods shed building was used as by a HGV company. There is a gate for road access on the bridge just before TGI Fridays/Premier Inn car park exit.