Bird in Hand

tozzin

I’ve often seen this old pub, The Bird in Hand in Eckington, but was sceptical it was a pub but after reading up about it, it was.

4A8F17EE-C98B-4FA7-AF74-CF1DFF306E47.jpeg

For a number of years The Bird in Hand was one of my regular haunts. It was de-licensed and became a dwelling some years ago. Eckington, once renowned for the number of pubs in such a relatively small town....kept alive by a strong mining community seemingly now has just a couple left.

I can only think unemployed, the cost of beer led to it's closure, as usual the party who was in or the party who's in government now never lifted a finger to help these struggling pubs, now they are urging us to go out and drink a million pints to help the present struggling pubs, just why are these any different to all the pubs that were closed due to high rent, high cost of beer and high rates.

I agree...!Even after the closure of the local pits the "Bird", like many other Eckington Pubs ( and Club) was busy for a number of years, The greed of the new breed of Pub owning companies, who charged managers ridiculous amounts of rent ,as well as increasing beer prices had much to do with closure, together with the burgeoning booze trade from supermarkets.....and the ban on smoking!

They effectively priced themselves out of business.....