Sheffield &Tinsley Canal. Plus former stations and a goods shed

Paolo Coopio

Can't believe how much history there is on this 5 mile stretch.

So many listed buildings and structures. 

5 disused stations on its route (including former goods stations)

And one of the most interesting things was the old abandoned engine shed near Tinsley. Inspection pit still there. 

• Like 1

For quite a few years I worked by the canal down at the start of the Tinsley locks. In winter we had Ice breakers ( nicknamed the Kista Dan after a then famous Antarctic ice breaker) keeping the canal open . Normal traffic was mainly a regular procession of barges taking ferro-alloys to the canal basin. I once organised a shipment of nearly 200 tonnes of steel , by barge, to the docks at Hull. It was never repeated. as the  incredibly slow operation of loading and waiting for the tides(!!!) was too disruptive of our normal operations...and the "big boss" forbade it!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

For quite a few years I worked by the canal down at the start of the Tinsley locks. In winter we had Ice breakers ( nicknamed the Kista Dan after a then famous Antarctic ice breaker) keeping the canal open . Normal traffic was mainly a regular procession of barges taking ferro-alloys to the canal basin. I once organised a shipment of nearly 200 tonnes of steel , by barge, to the docks at Hull. It was never repeated. as the  incredibly slow operation of loading and waiting for the tides(!!!) was too disruptive of our normal operations...and the "big boss" forbade it!!!

Thanks Lysanderix. Out of interest what year roughly was this (if you don't mind me asking)?

4 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

I wasdown there from 1959 til 1971 (ish),😏

Great to hear stories of when the canal was still working. 👍

12 hours ago, Athy said:

Fascinating, as always, and thanks for ploughing through the mud and making this video.

Thanks Athy. The muddier the better🙃

There's a nice picture of the Canal and Park goods here and another of the railway bridge showing what those pillars supported.

Canal Basin.jpg

Cruiser 'Denrodawn' Canal Basin with Park Station Bridge 1968.jpg

20 hours ago, History dude said:

There's a nice picture of the Canal and Park goods here and another of the railway bridge showing what those pillars supported.

Canal Basin.jpg

Cruiser 'Denrodawn' Canal Basin with Park Station Bridge 1968.jpg

Wow they great photos.

It looks so familiar but so different. 

Are this overhead wires on the bridge going in to the goods shed

No that's the Victoria line on the next bridge. They only used steam and diesel engines on the goods lines. 

You get a better view from a 1948 air photo. The electrification is yet to be installed on the Victoria line.  The white line is a marking on the photo.

The next picture follows the canal to the Midland railway also dated 1948.

Park goods and Victoria 1948.jpg

(1948) Canal Section to Midland railway bridge.jpg

To get those two pictures I used a screen capture software. And as my monitor is a large widescreen type, you could say that they are in Cinemascope!   lol

It's difficult to comprehend the footprint the railways and railway related land had in the area around the city centre back then compared to now. 

Fascinating photos. Thanks for taking the time to scan and share them. 

Built at Gorton, in 1914, to works number 435, Class 04, No.63624, (Shed No. 41A, Darnall), stands near Tinsley South Junction Signal Box. The view is looking towards Tinsley West Junction, with the extensive Hadfield and Co. Ltd., East Hecla Works on the left hand side. Taken September 1960. Copyright Retained.

The locomotive would appear to be standing roughly where Meadowhall South Tram Stop stands today, although I am sure that some of our more technically competent readers could nail the spot exactly.

CAIMF627-GO.435-1914, Class 04-8, No.63624, (Shed No. 41A, Darnall), near Tinsley South Junction S.B., looking towards Tinsley West Junction, with Hadfield and Co. Ltd., East Hecla Works on L.H.S.-03-09-1960.jpg

• Like 2

That would been about the time that my Dad slipped the duty shed foreman a few shillings and we had a walk around inside Darnall shed. I remember that there were two rows of O4s; walking between them I really got a sense of how big they were. Like many freight engines, they looked bulkier when they were dirty, which they were.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

That would been about the time that my Dad slipped the duty shed foreman a few shillings and we had a walk around inside Darnall shed. I remember that there were two rows of O4s; walking between them I really got a sense of how big they were. Like many freight engines, they looked bulkier when they were dirty, which they were.

I know that No.63601, a long time Frodingham locomotive is fortunately preserved and it is still a very impressive locomotive, but I know exactly what you mean. That was the first clean Class 04, that I've ever seen!!!

None of the Class 04's that I saw around Orgreave, Woodhouse, Beighton, Killamarsh ever looked like that.

• Like 1