Baltic Bakery

tozzin

When I was a lad my barbers was situated above a shop on Wulfric Road, up the stairs into a rather small room with the must have piece of wood to be placed across the arms of the chair for young lads, I think the shop was Baltic Bakery, I always wondered why the name Baltic , I surmised it was after  Baltic Road down Attercliffe, so it was there my interest finished but it wasn’t until only a few years ago I was watching the TV about Newcastle and lo and behold looking above the Tyne with the name Baltic  Flour Mill emblazoned across the facade, I’ve never gone into whether Newcastle was the Homebase of the flour mill but there you go a childhood mystery solved.

54848E0A-DA00-43FF-AB4A-470AA504604A.jpeg

Guest leksand

2 hours ago, tozzin said:

When I was a lad my barbers was situated above a shop on Wulfric Road, up the stairs into a rather small room with the must have piece of wood to be placed across the arms of the chair for young lads, I think the shop was Baltic Bakery, I always wondered why the name Baltic , I surmised it was after  Baltic Road down Attercliffe, so it was there my interest finished but it wasn’t until only a few years ago I was watching the TV about Newcastle and lo and behold looking above the Tyne with the name Baltic  Flour Mill emblazoned across the facade, I’ve never gone into whether Newcastle was the Homebase of the flour mill but there you go a childhood mystery solved.

There was a branch/lodge of one of the masonic groups which was styled Baltic. I don't know the origin of that name, though could readily beleive it was due to some association with or allusion to Hansa trade. As I understand, the masonic connection was the origin of at least some instances of the usage around the near Attercliffe / Nunnery area.

baltic-wlh.jpg.9bc056d42180a7f981c63ec08c70e9bd.jpg

(Jonathan Wilkinson - welivehere)

J Beardshaw and Sons Ltd...a local small steelworks had premises called "Baltic Steelworks"...probably because of a pre WW1 trade with that area.