Marks&Spencer

DaveJC

Is this iconic retailer about to be a historic recollection? I spent the first 22 years working in the retail trade and can tell you one certainty, this being that no one can pre guess the general public, they don’t intend to close you down, but that’s what they do.

What we should do to attempt to understand the decline of the retail giants is to analyse our own actions. It’s very easy for me as I have not set foot in any town or city centre for several years. I use the internet to shop, along with suburban supermarkets and DIY stores, the serial shoppers such as my late mother are now part of history.

Internet shopping, and its often hidden ,malign ,affects on the environment and jobs ,has a lot for which to to answer.

I suppose that my choice of consuming a couple of cans of “Old Speckled Hen” costing £2.20 rather than £8.00 for two pints in my local effects licensed trade jobs, however I don’t lose any sleep about it. On the subject of the internet I have just taken delivery of two batteries for car key usage, this would compare with circa £12.00 from a car spares shop, if they had any in stock, and I haven’t used my diesel car to obtain them, we will have to agree to disagree.

10 minutes ago, DaveJC said:

I suppose that my choice of consuming a couple of cans of “Old Speckled Hen” costing £2.20 rather than £8.00 for two pints in my local effects licensed trade jobs, however I don’t lose any sleep about it. On the subject of the internet I have just taken delivery of two batteries for car key usage, this would compare with circa £12.00 from a car spares shop, if they had any in stock, and I haven’t used my diesel car to obtain them, we will have to agree to disagree.

Sorry, missed the cost of £2.95 for the batteries.

The demise of the traditional English pub had much to do with the banning of smoking and, despite its price, many prefer to drink with others rather than quaff, whatever, at home! Personally, I stopped my pub life after a stay in dock....but I do miss the "freemasonry" of a good bar.