Looking for information on a house

Youdy

I've been told that one of my relatives lived in the Darnell or attercliffe area when Sheffield got bombed in the 1940's and also that there is a photo of there house 

The house apparently has a mattress hanging out of the window or house and there is a wardrobe upstairs unmarked 

I was just wondering if anyone has seen this picture as I can't find it any where and would love to see it 

I looked on there couldn't find anything that why I posted on here hoping someone had seen it and could help me 

Your best bet then is to look at the newspaper archives for Sheffield. I don't know if the Local Studies Library is open yet, but you could search there. Otherwise the only way is to try and get access to Find My Past, who have lots of Sheffield Newspapers from 1940 available. Or there's a payable Newspaper archive that's online. 

You might need to track the family down, the 1939 census could pin down where they lived and you give you an address to work with.  

• Thanks 1

I have now found out that the address it's 210A Worthley road Sheffield the lady's name was Muriel Hall aged 29 she was killed on the 11th September 1940 the day before her wedding her wedding dress was in the wardrobe with not a scratch in it 

In wondering if anyone can help with this picture in trying to find out some information about it and was wondering where would be the best place to take it for advice and help can anyone recommend anywhere ???????

Unknown person 2.PNG

Unknown person.jpg

I found this piece of information on The History of Sheffield Fire Brigade website:

HALL, Muriel, age 29; of 210. Worthing Road. Daughter of Hayden and Amy Hall.
September 11, 1940, at 210A, Worthing Road.

• Thanks 1

You're welcome

I must say I have never seen a photo frame like that one before. It's very elaborate. There might be a lot of clues in that. For example are they pineapples? Lots of organisations used them in their symbolic ways.  

As for the man, a pin stripe suit was not the average clothing for a person to dress up in. So more than likely a person of means, middle class to above level. The quality of the frame also suggest wealth.

• Thanks 1

Muriel Hall who died 11th September 1940 was getting married on 12th September 1940 does anyone know if I can find out who she was getting married to any information will be helpful

thanks  in advance 

So this is quite interesting @Youdy. In the 1939 register, Muriel was recorded as living with her sister and brother-in-law at 31 Bolsolver Road. Perhaps she was only staying at her parents house because it was the night before her wedding? If so, the situation is even more tragic!

The record has her birthdate as 17 Feb 1911 and her occupation was Tool Inspector (temporarily incapacitated).

The second snippet is a record of her death.

Muriel_Hall.jpg

• Thanks 1

Muriel's grave is in Shiregreen Cemetery, Shiregreen Lane, Sheffield. I was hoping that there might have been mention of her spouse....

Muriel_Hall_2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Muriel must have lived at this address for a short period of time as in the 1939 cenus it wasn't mentioned but the last number was 193 Worthing road  and he was a housing estate general foreman then it goes to 222 Worthing Road so no mention of that property 

Also when she died it said two other people were injured which were her parents and one person was slightly injured but I can't find out who is person was May be her husband to be if anyone knows how I can find out this information if I can it would be much appreciated 

Hey Youdy.   I know the very house you mean, it was at the top of our gennel.  Though this was before my time, my mum told me about it.  Apparently there was a picture hanging on what was left of the bedroom wall for some time afterwards.  The site was cleared in the sixties and five lockup garages built there.  If you go up what is now Stadium Way there's an RSPCA dog shelter.  The house was just up from the car park.  In the distance in the attached picture you can see the five remaining houses in the row (the ones running across the middle of the photo). The one that was bombed would have been on the right.

There was a photograph of the bombed house in the original "Sheffield at War" book, which I think was published by The Star.   I haven't seen a copy of that for years though.  The later book of the same name had many of the same pictures, but not that one for some reason.

Selbourn Looking Up.jpg

• Thanks 1

Probably not relevant ,but the Langtons , mentioned in the newspaper cutting ,were early, stalwart, members of  the then recently opened Shiregreen Congregational Church and Vernon would be “mentioned in despatches “a few years later.

Sheffield was raided a total of 16 times…mainly by small hit and run actions. The first took place on 18 August 1940.

• Thanks 1

On 08/07/2021 at 23:06, Youdy said:

Muriel Hall who died 11th September 1940 was getting married on 12th September 1940 does anyone know if I can find out who she was getting married to any information will be helpful

thanks  in advance 

Hi Youdy. If you can find out what Church she was getting married at, they should have a record of the Marriage Banns,

which were usually read out at several Services before the Wedding Day. That will give you his name.

• Thanks 1