Dempseys - a shoe shop to a nightclub

Lizzy_MB

There was a Dempseys on Park Hill in the 90's, and now there's a Dempseys nightclub at the foot of the Moor - it's such a unique name, surely the two are connected in some way? anyone know?

On 26/05/2021 at 14:48, Lizzy_MB said:

There was a Dempseys on Park Hill in the 90's, and now there's a Dempseys nightclub at the foot of the Moor - it's such a unique name, surely the two are connected in some way? anyone know?

David Dempsey is probably the single survivor of this business, he is a pal of mine and a great guy.

The Dempsey who I know is Jewish, so probably an adopted name to avoid antisemitism.

Just under 7000 Dempsey’s in England

A quick look at Wikipedia reveals that ....Dempsey is the anglicised version of the Irish...O Diomasaigh...meaning "proud" or  "arrogant".

The nightclub could be named after the world famous boxer Jack Dempsey, world heavyweight champion in the 20 s or 30 s

22 hours ago, Brian S said:

The nightclub could be named after the world famous boxer Jack Dempsey, world heavyweight champion in the 20 s or 30 s

Quite interestingly Dempsey had a US navy command of Commander during WW2, which is one rank lower than Captain, not bad for a retired boxer.

Another "Jack Dempsey" is a pugnacious member of the Cichlid family of tropical fish!

When I was a boy living in Walkley, mid 1950's, my mother worked in Dempsey's shoe shop on South Road in Walkley, next door to Bowaters where my Aunt worked.

Wonderful memories of my childhood.