Interesting View!

dunsbyowl1867

You know that other thread where we were talking about Grimethorpe Loco...and I said I had seen a shot from Newhall road towards Grimethorpe....well that building on the right (coaling station?) looks like the one I saw.

Am I miles out?

You know that other thread where we were talking about Grimethorpe Loco...and I said I had seen a shot from Newhall road towards Grimethorpe....well that building on the right (coaling station?) looks like the one I saw.

Am I miles out?

I'm not sure exactly but I think this is a view looking towards the east from the Wicker goods yard below Spital Hill - would some of these works be Cammels?

Regards the photo ......... In the "Images of Sheffield" book (A Star publication) there is almost the identical view but without the rail lines. They have it has "Firth Browns during demolition in the 1980's", to the right of the photo (in the book) can be seen Don Valley House, this office block was or still is on Saville Street so this puts the photo between Saville Street and Attercliffe Road looking towards the Norfolk Bridge area.

Not to sure about the copyright implications regarding the Star's photos, otherwise I would scan it!

After studying a map, I've changed my mind about location ...... I now think we're looking north-east, with Saville Street over to the right and Carlilse Street to the left behind the buildings.

Could the photo have been taken from Sutherland Street bridge, looking away from town?

After studying a map, I've changed my mind about location ...... I now think we're looking north-east, with Saville Street over to the right and Carlilse Street to the left behind the buildings.

Could the photo have been taken from Sutherland Street bridge, looking away from town?

Is this the same view ? Sutherland Street to the bottom?

The view is definitely from Sutherland Street Bridge, I've had a wander down today to see what remains, not a lot.

My camera slipped and accidently took a photo of the book, so I might as well post that as well (hope I don't get into trouble)

Dunsbyowl ........ I've added a few things to your map and the results are below.

For all its grime, I prefer the old view!

The view is definitely from Sutherland Street Bridge, I've had a wander down today to see what remains, not a lot.

My camera slipped and accidently took a photo of the book, so I might as well post that as well (hope I don't get into trouble)

Dunsbyowl ........ I've added a few things to your map and the results are below.

Although in the later years these railway lines served the Steelworks in the area, they are infact the oldest railway lines in Sheffield.

On the 31st October 1838 at 10 o'clock in the morning the first train on the newly opened Sheffield & Rotherham Railway left Sheffield Station ( later Wicker Goods Station, now Pentagon Vauxhall on Savile St) fo Rotherham Westgate Station.

This Railway service ran in complete isolation until the North Midland Line was opened from Derby to Rotherham Masborough on 11th May 1840, and through to Leeds on 30th June 1840.

Sheffield was now served by a branch line off the North Midland Route from Derby to Leeds.

In June 1841 an intrepid travellers had the choice of 5 connections through to London and 4 back each weekday, the journey would take (on paper) between 8 and 10 hours changing trains at Rotherham, Derby and either Birmingham or henley in Arden. This was still way better than several days by horse.

The Sheffield and Rotherham Railway remained independant until 1845 when the line was taken over by the North Midland Railway.

Passenger traffic lasted until 1870, when the Midland line from Tapton Junction Chesterfield was opened through Sheffield Midland to Grimesthorpe Junction. The junction was at the point Upwell street dips under the railway (fllods every time we get a decent bit of rain).

After 1870 the line remained as a goods only line serving the Wicker Goods depot and the steelworks in the area.

Wicker Goods Station closed in 1965 with the opening of the Centralised Goods Depot at Grimesthorpe Junction.

Hi The top left photo is Gillots Bakery old building, later a garage, bott; Lyons st . Skeets

YES I THINK THIS PHOTO IS TAKEN FROM SUTHERLAND ST BRIDGE, I WORKED AT GRIMESTORPE SHEDS FOR A SHORT WHLE ,STARTED THE WEEK AFTER THE SUN; NIGHT BLITZ , AND I WENT DOWN SUTHERLAND RD OVER THIS BRIDGE TO THE JUNCTION OF SAVILE ST AND ABOUT 40/50 YARDS [TURNING LEFT] WAS THE ENTRANCE TO THE SHEDS , S KEETS.