Cole Brothers

DaveJC

A guy called Simon Jones from Beauchief has bought the trading name of this iconic Sheffield retailer, I wonder how he will use it.

As it's nigh on 20 years since the name was last in use, I wonder why it has lain dormant for so long.

I remember the old Cole's Corner store; I think it closed at about the time that my family left Sheffield, 1962.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

As it's nigh on 20 years since the name was last in use, I wonder why it has lain dormant for so long.

I remember the old Cole's Corner store; I think it closed at about the time that my family left Sheffield, 1962.

There’s a shop on Abbeydale Road named Cole’s Corner, which was never a protected name, I’m really interested how it’s going to be used, suggestions on a postcard.

• Like 1

I assume that it's "Cole Brothers", the business, rather than "Cole's Corner", the location, which is a protected name. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I assume that it's "Cole Brothers", the business, rather than "Cole's Corner", the location, which is a protected name. 

Correct

Dave,

having bought the company, I have secured the name for appropriate use in Sheffield. I'd like to see the store in Barkers Pool re-opened - it's so important for the city. That could be by remaining as part of the JL partnership, or by unpicking the link to it forged in 2002 and trading as Cole Brothers Ltd once again, with a similar or superior, high-quality offer. 

All the best

Simon

simon.jones@colebrothers.uk 

On 02/05/2021 at 21:35, Simon Jones said:

Dave,

having bought the company, I have secured the name for appropriate use in Sheffield. I'd like to see the store in Barkers Pool re-opened - it's so important for the city. That could be by remaining as part of the JL partnership, or by unpicking the link to it forged in 2002 and trading as Cole Brothers Ltd once again, with a similar or superior, high-quality offer. 

All the best

Simon

simon.jones@colebrothers.uk 

You know what Simon, other than the the outer Cathedral, the Peace Gardens/St Paul’s, Sheffield has never had anywhere where say a student could sit and study, or an OAP could read their Star. Actually the High Street end of the bombed Change Alley qualified for tiny period of time, not much for a city the size of Sheffield, with two universities , is it?

I reckon that if we could bring back John Cole he wouldn’t mind his name being used in conjunction with an area of relaxation. Problem is that we used to have police officers, who were mainly recruited from ex National Service personnel, and could handle yobs with ease, happy days.