Coach Maker in 1851

Minnie

One of my family censuses from 1851 has occupations for members of the family as 'Spring Maker', 'Coach Maker' and 'Coach Lace Maker' They lived around the Pond Street area. I am confused - would they have worked on horse drawn coaches, or would they have been coaches for the railway by this time? Any information would be appreciated.

Hi Minnie. This is a bit of a tricky one, as it seems it was at a period of time for both, as the same skills transferred.

A Spring Maker/Coach spring Maker - made, repaired, cleaned and tempered coach springs - for either.

A Coach Builder - did the framework and all accessories needed to be built-in/on + the body work again for either.

A Coach Lace Maker - did the trimmings originally for the horse drawn carriages, then transferred to rail carriages.

Apparently some of the same skills were also used on tram cars.

See answers to the same question you are asking on 'ROOTSCHAT'                Ok Heartshome.

Guest leksand
On 25/04/2021 at 15:13, Minnie said:

One of my family censuses from 1851 has occupations for members of the family as 'Spring Maker', 'Coach Maker' and 'Coach Lace Maker' They lived around the Pond Street area. I am confused - would they have worked on horse drawn coaches, or would they have been coaches for the railway by this time? Any information would be appreciated.

Is there any indication of whether they lived at or near the Works?

Pond Street would not have been convenient for the railways in 1851 as the ponds were still there and the Midland Station was not.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(in addition)

from 1852 Whites

Coach & Railway Spring Makers - GREEN Alfred - 86 Pond St

GREEN Alfred - edgetool, tanners' and curriers' knife, surgeons' instrument, patent truss, file, steel, &c manifacturer - 86 Pond Street

so probably no clarification if this is where they worked - sorry

Thanks for your reply.

The census doesn't give a number on Pond Street, but really they lived in a few houses in that area.

In 1841 he lived in Pond Street , but was only aged 10, so not working.

In the 1851 census it says they were living at 52 Pond Hill and he was a Spring Maker

In the 1861 census the family were living at 14 Harmer Lane and he was still a Spring Maker, but by 1871 he was down as a railway Spring Fitter. (still at Harmer Lane)

Does this cast any light?

Hi Minnie. A Railway Spring Fitter would fit a Leaf Steel Spring on the axle, to act as a cushion,

between the body of the train and the wheel. This was replaced later by a hydraulic system.

Ok Heartshome.

Railway springs could be of the "laminated/leaf" or "coil" form. Pneumatic and hydraulics have, to an extent, replaced the spring which, incidentally, was defined as a "device for storing energy".

The railways had their own specifications for springs and spring steels which were often different to those required for the car and lorry manufacturers.

Despite all the precautions springs occasionally break and so a spring fitter would either replace a broken" leaf" of a laminated / leaf spring or fit a new one.

7 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

Railway springs could be of the "laminated/leaf" or "coil" form. Pneumatic and hydraulics have, to an extent, replaced the spring which, incidentally, was defined as a "device for storing energy".

The railways had their own specifications for springs and spring steels which were often different to those required for the car and lorry manufacturers.

Despite all the precautions springs occasionally break and so a spring fitter would either replace a broken" leaf" of a laminated / leaf spring or fit a new one.

Nice one Lysanderix!  it's good to learn about specifics.

My Dad  was a spring maker and I grew up on a diet of springs! I then spent  nearly 20 years of my working life involved in the manufacture of springs and spring steels....!🙄

Guest leksand
On 25/04/2021 at 15:13, Minnie said:

Chanced upon some sales particulars from 1850 for the Ponds area (straight of the top of Pond St) listed in the Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. It includes some nice detail on the industry there, including "newly erected railway spring makers' shops".

springs1850.jpg.2c34e43caa48cd6303c9202c8e006ae9.jpg