Chapeltown Foundry

Guest sheffbusman

Guest sheffbusman

I live on Smith Street in Chapeltown and at the top of our road there used to be a foundry, it is now a housing estate (Nether Ley Ave) but our house is the last one on smith street and it has a very old concrete pillar as part of our boundry wall, it looks like it could have been part of the old foundry gates??? I was wondering if anyone has any old pictures of the foundry and/or Smith street, I have been looking around for some for a while, but have not found any as yet :( I will post a picture of the pillar soon.

I live on Smith Street in Chapeltown and at the top of our road there used to be a foundry, it is now a housing estate (Nether Ley Ave) but our house is the last one on smith street and it has a very old concrete pillar as part of our boundry wall, it looks like it could have been part of the old foundry gates??? I was wondering if anyone has any old pictures of the foundry and/or Smith street, I have been looking around for some for a while, but have not found any as yet :( I will post a picture of the pillar soon.

It was Parramore's Foundry. I remember it well. The place to start is Chapeltown Library. They may be able to give you a contact for the local history group (Chapelgreen).