Wilson's, Fargate

Emjayf

Hi all, I wondered if anyone knew if there was a shop called "Wilson's" in Fargate and what sort of thing it was? I have attached a postcard to my Great Nan which I have transcribed as:

Miss M Beaumont

74 South Street, Moor, Sheffield

Post Marked Sheffield Apr 15th 1908

Dear Maud,

Just a line to say I got your letter this morning Monday. My word you are going to be busy. I hope it keeps fine for you. I could see you had been doing the attics that is the reason I write to ask if you had done. Do you like my postcards I got at Wilson's in Fargate only 1d each. From Mary xxxxxxxx

How is your friend Jessie going on.

I am not sure the sign off is "Mary", hard to read it all really!  Do you think I have the date from the date stamp correct? Also if anyone thinks I have transcribed it incorrectly I am happy to be told otherwise!

Cheers

MJ

FB_IMG_1618954922301.jpg

• Like 1

Have you noticed that she put the address in the section she was meant to put the message in and the message in the address section!

Can you imagine the Post Office people saying "another one in the wrong place" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emjayf said:

a shop called "Wilson's" in Fargate

That’s the company that published postcard and whose name runs up the left edge. Also their logo in the top centre JW&SS. Here’s another card published by them,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sheffield-Fargate-Edwardian-Half-Penny-Stamp-John-Wilson-Son-Postcard-/402175968921

Assume they were photographers, printers, publishers, but some clues to suggest they might have been toy importers and dealers. Also, not sure where exactly on Fargate?

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/150299-willson-and-gumpets/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the directories.

J Wilson and Son, toy and fancy dealers, 57 Fargate. 1901, 1905 and 1911.
Wilson, Gumpert & Co. Ltd., toy and fancy dealers, 57 Fargate. 1925.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, History dude said:

Have you noticed that she put the address in the section she was meant to put the message in and the message in the address section!

Can you imagine the Post Office people saying "another one in the wrong place" :rolleyes:

Well, it makes sense, as the space purportedly for the address is bigger than one for communication, which is surely arse-about-face. I have seen old French postcards where the sendee's name and address have been written on the picture side, I assume to allow more space for "communication".

I remember Wilson Gumpert's from the late '50s/ early '60s but I'm not sure if they were in Fargate by that time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, History dude said:

This one has only the stamp on the obverse side, but you get the idea..

French postcard.jpg

• Like 1