Cromer Pier - anyone been?

Sheffield History

22 hours ago, SimonAitch said:

Fond childhood memories of Cromer, Sheringham and Wells by the sea. 55 years ago.

Lovely stuff - what a great part of the world eh!

I love Norfolk! I was taken, between the ages of about 3 - 15 every Spring Bank holiday to see my dad's friend from the war and his young family in nearby North Walsham. Cromer was always a favorite at the time for 'Cromer Crabs' and the fresh crab sandwiches. Also, we always stayed at Bacton, just down the coast, in a caravan, where the interest to me was the huge North Sea gas terminal they were building there and then later, the first wind turbines that I had ever seen.

The other thing that excited me, were the low flying jets taking off from Coltishall, where my dad's friend worked. It was fantastic to hear them breaking the sound barrier in their English Electric Lightning planes.

This was all in the 1960's and as an adult, I always thought Norfolk had become a bit touristy, but I was also a tourist, so should I complain?  I'm back in Wells-next- -the-sea in a week's time for another holiday and can you believe it, last time I was there taking a photo on the seafront of that old sailing ship, I started talking to another photographer and he recognised my accent! It turned out he used to run the paddle boats on the lake for 25 years, having left Sheffield in the 1970s.

• Like 1