Fruit and veg shop

Nita Cox

Hi I’m looking for any old photos of the buildings that used to stand on Derbyshire lane, they were wher the flats now stand, my relative’s own a fruit and veg shop in one of them, they stated off with a horse and cart. I’m not sure which side of the family it was so the surnames are Hobson, Tilly or Benton. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks Nita 

3 hours ago, Nita Cox said:

Hi I’m looking for any old photos of the buildings that used to stand on Derbyshire lane, they were wher the flats now stand, my relative’s own a fruit and veg shop in one of them, they stated off with a horse and cart. I’m not sure which side of the family it was so the surnames are Hobson, Tilly or Benton. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks Nita 

William H Hobson, 188 Derbyshire Lane. 1957 directory.

hob.jpg

I remember Hobsons fruit and veg shop, it was the end shop of a row of terraced houses on Derbyshire Lane it was opposite Mundella place where Mundella school is.

I remember going in here with my Mum, all the fruit and veg were loose, and you ordered per pound, nothing was pre packed and once weighed it was placed in to your shopping bag.

Fruit such as apples and oranges were  placed in brown paper bags, I remember loose leaf tea which was  weighed and packed in bags, also slabs of butter which was shaped and wrapped in greaseproof paper.

I'm sure the houses were knocked down late 1970's and the flats built early 1980's. 

Hobsons fruit and veg then moved just up the road to no 258 Derbyshire lane.

The row of shops in the photograph look like they were on the steep bit of Derbyshire Lane between Cliffe Field Road & Norton Lees Road. I would guess the photo was taken around 1900.

13 hours ago, Jack Russell1867 said:

I remember Hobsons fruit and veg shop, it was the end shop of a row of terraced houses on Derbyshire Lane it was opposite Mundella place where Mundella school is.

I remember going in here with my Mum, all the fruit and veg were loose, and you ordered per pound, nothing was pre packed and once weighed it was placed in to your shopping bag.

Fruit such as apples and oranges were  placed in brown paper bags, I remember loose leaf tea which was  weighed and packed in bags, also slabs of butter which was shaped and wrapped in greaseproof paper.

You've conjured up a few memories there. Mum sending me to the shop for potatoes and giving me a shopping bag, into which the spuds were poured from the metal weighing scoop. The shopkeeper would always have a couple of potatoes of varying sizes in their hand, and would add and subtract potatoes to/from the scoop to achieve the desired three pounds weight.....and does anyone use butter pats nowadays?