Dry Cottages, Trap Lane

Hedgepig

Does anyone have any information about the so called 'Dry Cottages' on Trap Lane.  We walk quite frequently down Trap Lane and have noticed what appear to be well built steps and wall remains.  We were once informed by passers by that there were a number of cottages just up from the Meadow Farm on Whitely Wood Road. They were supposedly not connected to a water supply and so got their name. I tried to find an early map but was unsuccessful.

Any ideas?

On 14/04/2021 at 14:03, Hedgepig said:

Does anyone have any information about the so called 'Dry Cottages' on Trap Lane.  We walk quite frequently down Trap Lane and have noticed what appear to be well built steps and wall remains.  We were once informed by passers by that there were a number of cottages just up from the Meadow Farm on Whitely Wood Road. They were supposedly not connected to a water supply and so got their name. I tried to find an early map but was unsuccessful.

Any ideas?

Hi Hedgepig. Not found anything about the cottage/cottages, but depending where you're referring too on Trap Lane,

on SteveHB's map up the Lane at plot 335, there was a property there marked on a map since 1795

Found these for your info;-

1841 family of Joshua Mottram  born 1803 - Trap Lane

1851 family of Gite Mottram born 1769 and Joseph Ball - Trap Lane

1861 family of William Mason and Crowther - Trap Lane

1871 family of Ann Gosling - Trap Lane

1881 family of John Gosling  born 1814 - Trap Lane

16 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Hedgepig. Not found anything about the cottage/cottages, but depending where you're referring too on Trap Lane,

on SteveHB's map up the Lane at plot 335, there was a property there marked on a map since 1795

Found these for your info;-

1841 family of Joshua Mottram  born 1803 - Trap Lane

1851 family of Gite Mottram born 1769 and Joseph Ball - Trap Lane

1861 family of William Mason and Crowther - Trap Lane

1871 family of Ann Gosling - Trap Lane

1881 family of John Gosling  born 1814 - Trap Lane

Heartshome,

"335" refers to the area size in acres, (0.335), the number above it is a plot number.

Screenshot (271).png

Screenshot (270).png

Thanks for your info SteveHB, it is the buildings by the side of it you can see that I refer too. Heartshome.

Thanks everyone,

These may be pre 1800 so not likely to have maps and so forth.  The gates and wall bases can be seen on the right of trap lane 150 yards uphill from the farm at the very bottom.

I may be wrong, but looking at the position and shape of the buildings, they look like they are still standing.... most of them anyway?

06FE08D4-552A-4A8E-9872-61E1C78B0F11.jpeg

5 minutes ago, RLongden said:

I may be wrong, but looking at the position and shape of the buildings, they look like they are still standing.... most of them anyway?

06FE08D4-552A-4A8E-9872-61E1C78B0F11.jpeg

Hi RLongden. Yes you're right. It is not these cottages, as Hedgepig has just put up the precise location of the steps which are on the Right!  Ok Heartshome.

On 14/04/2021 at 14:03, Hedgepig said:

Any ideas?

Hi all. After a lot of searching, and enquiring, the conclusion is that there were never any actual 'Cottages'.

I have looked at every map I can find, including a 1795 one of the area, and none show cottages.

With help from the library lady, who has searched their maps, directories, and books about Ecclesall, she has found no  reference at all to any cottages here, but!! has noted, and pointed out to me, that on a 1930s map, small buildings are shown at the top of the Allotment Garden plots:- see map

As you see, where the bottom butterfly is are a few small buildings, however they are Not on SteveHB's 1920 map, as across the plots it just says 'Allotment Gardens'.  - Neither are they on the 1938 map.

On a 1948 map, 2 small square buildings appear on the top 2 plots.

Where the upper butterfly is, the dip on the edge is where the entrance to the allotments was.

The thought is! it was local 'slang whit' for the huts on the plots. They probably had a chair in them, and a stove, but they  wouldn't have had any running water for the Gardens, so would have had to fetch it from the stream, or use collected rain water.  Regards Heartshome.

100_3698.JPG