The Missing Section of the Chesterfield Canal.

Paolo Coopio

There is a 9 mile stretch of the Chesterfield Canal that is "missing" between Staveley and Kiveton Park. Right through the heart of Killamarsh.

There have been ambitious plans to restore if for a number of years. 

I walked the entire missing section to see the size of their task. Some wonderful remains and history too including the old Norwood Tunnel.

My favourite section was the older section between Renishaw and Killamarsh before the canal was realigned with the railway line. Some lovely old stonework and evidence from the 1700s there. 

Edit: SteveHB

• Like 1

A part of the canal adjacent to the road bridge at Renishaw was rebuilt some years ago....sadly it leaked and was quietly abandoned....again!

13 minutes ago, History dude said:

Wow that video was soon removed!

I have reinstalled link, no idea what went wrong.

We've lived in Killamarsh since 1979 and our 2nd house, on Kirkcroft Avenue was built in 1984 on the canal towpath and in the back garden we found many bits of old pottery and bottles, when we first moved in and did the garden. (although these might have been from the Kirk Croft -  settlement near the church) which was there when the canal was built. A friend of mine was working for Norths builders on the site and showed me where the canal ran through Killamarsh (which might be in your next video) and the route can be clearly seen, ending at in the centre of Killamarsh, where the Navigation pub stood on a wider basin edge. There are pictures from the time, somewhere on line.

In the late 80's/early 90s we heard a lot from the Canal Trust and group of enthusiasts who even suggested knocking all the houses down to maintain the correct route! However, their last suggestion was to re-route via Rother Valley park.

I also walked the cuckoo trail with my son from Staveley and later from our house we followed the canal over to Lock Hill, (main road) where another lock is now in someone's garden at Lock House and then over to Norwood tunnel, before Mr White bought all the land up to Norwood Tunnel and the farm property the other side of Rotherham Road.

Above White's house clear evidence remains of lock structures, though whether you can get to them now, I'm not sure; it might be fenced off.  However, you could ask him! Also, there is a public footpath through his property going to Kiverton or over to Woodall, but again, not sure if it is still accessible.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 19:29, Bikeman said:

We've lived in Killamarsh since 1979 and our 2nd house, on Kirkcroft Avenue was built in 1984 on the canal towpath and in the back garden we found many bits of old pottery and bottles, when we first moved in and did the garden. (although these might have been from the Kirk Croft -  settlement near the church) which was there when the canal was built. A friend of mine was working for Norths builders on the site and showed me where the canal ran through Killamarsh (which might be in your next video) and the route can be clearly seen, ending at in the centre of Killamarsh, where the Navigation pub stood on a wider basin edge. There are pictures from the time, somewhere on line.

In the late 80's/early 90s we heard a lot from the Canal Trust and group of enthusiasts who even suggested knocking all the houses down to maintain the correct route! However, their last suggestion was to re-route via Rother Valley park.

I also walked the cuckoo trail with my son from Staveley and later from our house we followed the canal over to Lock Hill, (main road) where another lock is now in someone's garden at Lock House and then over to Norwood tunnel, before Mr White bought all the land up to Norwood Tunnel and the farm property the other side of Rotherham Road.

Above White's house clear evidence remains of lock structures, though whether you can get to them now, I'm not sure; it might be fenced off.  However, you could ask him! Also, there is a public footpath through his property going to Kiverton or over to Woodall, but again, not sure if it is still accessible.

Fascinating read.

Yeah you can still walk through the Norwood lock complex and up to the tunnel. There is a footpath at the side of the access road to get through the gates. I always feel like you're getting funny looks though.