Polly Bettaneys

Guest coffee cup

Guest coffee cup

Who grew up in old Wadsley Village or close by and remembers Polly Bettaneys ?

It was on Luke Lane, I remember going there when I was very young ( old money), they had loads of cats wandering about and the shop, which if I remember right was more like their front room, smelt of moth balls.

I also seem to remember that Polly Bettaney was rather old and had whiskers on her face. ( But as I was so young she would have looked old)

Can anyone else remember her shop ??

quote, I also seem to remember that Polly Bettaney was rather old and had whiskers on her face.

Take it she didn't sell razors then? lol

Thought that the cats would have licked them off?

Sorry but i couldn't resist it. ;-)

Guest coffee cup

SteveHB

Did you live in the village ? if so you must remember there was also a breadshop at the bottom of Coal Pit lane opposite Birchenoughs farm. It was painted a red colour. The Gennel which ran down the side of the bread shop also had a host of cottages, most of them hidden fro few on the left going down towards Rural Lane (Fox Lane), If my memory is correct I believe the Fearn Family lived in at least one of the cottages.

If You remember Polly Bettaneys you must remember this as well,

Sorry to have mislead you coffee cup, but what i posted was meant in humor.

I was born and brought up in town, so i didn't know about Wadsley in my childhood.

Guest Ernie

I think you'll find that the village shop you visited as a child was owned by a lady called "Nellie Bettany" not Polly.

I too was brought up in Wadsley, attending both Wadsley school and Wisewood.

One of my most vivid memories of Nellies is going in to buy some sweets (and possibly pinching some as well), only to find her frying some bacon in the shop. Imagine Health and Safety nowadays.

Guest coffee cup

I think you'll find that the village shop you visited as a child was owned by a lady called "Nellie Bettany" not Polly.

I too was brought up in Wadsley, attending both Wadsley school and Wisewood.

One of my most vivid memories of Nellies is going in to buy some sweets (and possibly pinching some as well), only to find her frying some bacon in the shop. Imagine Health and Safety nowadays.

As children to us she was always known as Polly, I have just checked with my parents, who also knew her as polly. I seem to remember there were two ladies in the shop, perhaps the other one was called Nelly.

I too remember her frying bacon in the shop. lol

Does anyone know of a Rothera and Jane Summerskill? They had a daughter called Jessie Summerskill. They worked and lived in a grocers on Luke Lane, Wadsley. Jane was from Dewsbury originally. This was in the early 1900's, so obviously I don't expect anyone to remember personally, but grandparents may remember. Doing my family history and hence the enquiry. Jessie was my great grandma.

Thanks.

As children to us she was always known as Polly, I have just checked with my parents, who also knew her as polly. I seem to remember there were two ladies in the shop, perhaps the other one was called Nelly.

I too remember her frying bacon in the shop. lol

I'd be interested to hear more - I'm trying to locate parts of Wadsley and Loxley, now gone or redeveloped. Can you tell me exactly where the two shops were? Also interested in old photographs of the area.

Thanks,

Ric

Mrs Mary Ellen Bettney, Shopkeeper of 83 Luke Lane, Hillsborough (White's 1919)

Mrs Mary Ellen Bettney, Shopkeeper of 83 Luke Lane, Wadsley (Kelly's 1925)

also

Frank Allen Bettney, Coal merchant of Luke Lane, Wadsley. (Kelly's 1925)

Hope that helps in some way; you've got a street address/house number now anyway.